Low-Fat Lentil And Cauliflower Pilaf Recipe
Lentils are part of the legume family and are nutty in flavour, popular amongst vegetarians. Because they contain plenty of fibre they can help lower cholesterol by keeping your arteries clean and they help to prevent constipation. Lentils are a great source of protein as well as complex carbohydrates that release energy slowly throughout the day.
If you want to experiment with lentils, try this lentil and cauliflower pilaf, perfect on its own or served with chicken or lamb. It’s healthy, simple and extremely tasty.
1 onion, finely diced
½ a cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 ¼ cups basmati rice
2 tbsp mild Indian curry paste
3 cups vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon quill
400g tin of lentils, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat two tablespoons of canola oil in a frypan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for five minutes or until tender.
- Add cauliflower and rice then cook for two minutes.
- Add curry paste and cook for one minute.
- Add stock, bay leaves and cinnamon then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, then simmer for fifteen minutes until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir through lentils and heat through for one minute.
- Sprinkle over coriander and serve.
Image via taste.com.au