Macarons With Watermelon And Raspberry Filling
Macarons With Watermelon and Raspberry Filling
Look out for antioxidant enriched, vitamin C packed seedless watermelon which is low in calories and super refreshing.
300g ground almonds
300g icing sugar
75g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
250g unsalted butter
150g sifted icing sugar
1 tbsp chopped Seedless Watermelon
1/4 cup raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius, then sift icing sugar and almonds in a fine sieve
2. Whip eggwhites into a foam with electric beaters, and stir in cream of tartar. Whisk with beaters until mixture is forming soft peaks.
3. One tablespoon at a time, add caster sugar to the mixture, whisking until dissolved.
4. Add this stiffened mixture to a bowl containing sifted almonds and icing sugar, and fold until combined. Divide mixture in half, and add 1 tsp of juice from raspberries and pink food colour to suit.
5. Spoon 1-2cm rounds of each colour mix onto an oven tray lined with baking paper, then set aside for half an hour before baking.
6. Bake in oven for 20 minutes (or until firm). Remove and cool, then store in airtight container in a cool place until ready to fill.
7. To make the filling, use electric beaters to combine butter and icing sugar until the mixture is fluffy, and add raspberries gradually. Press the juice from the chopped Seedless Watermelon, and add to mix until it becomes softer and slightly runny.
8. Spread generous layer of fill between macaroon biscuits and leave to set, before serving on a decorative plate with a cup of good quality tea, or a refreshing summer cocktail!