One of our favourite celebrity chefs Maggie Beer shares a delicious salad recipe combining ripe pears with crunchy walnuts and golden, crispy bacon. It makes the perfect dinner party entrée or light lunch.
2 Tbsp (40mls) extra virgin olive oil
2 ripe pears
½ cup walnuts
6 rashers belly bacon
4 strips lemon zest
3 Tbsp (60mls) vino cotto
1 cup rocket leaves
1 Tsp (5mls) lemon juice
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Peel, core and slice the pears into 1/8’s. Cut the bacon into 3 cm pieces.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy based frying pan, add the pears and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the bacon and lemon zest.
3. Add the whole walnuts and toss through.
4. Continue to cook until the pears are golden and the bacon crispy.
5. Deglaze the pan with the Vino Cotto, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Remove from the pan and place on a serving platter, scatter the rocket over the top of the pears and bacon, add the lemon juice to the pan juices and drizzle over the salad.
What’s your favourite salad recipe?
Julia has lived and worked in London, Amsterdam, and New York, and is obsessed with food. She's either cooking or thinking about what to eat next. Follow Julia on Twitter.