Masterclass Mondays: A Flawless Complexion
A flawless base is the most important part of your makeup. In this step-by-step masterclass by makeup supreme Natasha Severino we show you how to create a radiant complexion with a few must-have beauty products.
1. Cleanse, Tone and Moisturise
Start with a good skin cleanse before applying your makeup. Massage the cleanser into your skin to stimulate blood circulation.
Apply toner to remove any remaining makeup or residue (it also helps to tighten the pores on your T-zone). Then massage your moisturiser into your skin, allowing the skin to absorb the product. Blot away excess with a tissue.
YSL Top Secret Primer is one of the best primers on the market with its light, demi-matte, satin finish. It fills in pores and fine lines to give you the perfect base to apply makeup while the in-built brush applicator makes it super easy to brush on.
Star Product: YSL Top Secrets Flash Radiance Skincare Brush, $88.
Always apply foundation first, then concealer. If you put concealer on first you will rub it off when you apply your foundation.
Pump a small amount of foundation onto the back of your hand (one pump will usually cover your whole face). Use your fingers or a foundation brush and focus the foundation on the T-zone (nose, cheeks, forehead) and apply outwards towards the neck/hairline. Remember always start with a light coverage of foundation – you can always apply more if you feel you need it.
Then, warm your hands and pat your fingertips into the skin so the foundation becomes part of the skin, instead of sitting on top of the skin. This will also prolong the longevity of your foundation.
Star Product: YSL Perfect Touch Radiance Brush Foundation, $85.
Use your concealer to touch up any blemishes and dark undereye circles. Only use a tiny amount of concealer and feather outwards of the blemish or discolouration.
5. Finishing touch
Natasha’s can’t-live-without beauty product (and mine too – I’ve been using it daily for 12 years) is YSL Touche Eclat. There’s a reason 1 Touche Eclat is sold every 10 seconds around the world! It’s 8 hours of beauty sleep in an elegant gold click pen – if you only have one product in your handbag it should be this. There’s dozens of imitations but nothing compares to its unique radiance-boosting formula.
Natasha’s top tips for applying Touche Eclat:
* Pat the product into the skin so it melts into your skin instead of sitting on the top and looking unnatural
* Apply on the dark spot between eyes and nose to look instantly refreshed
* Swipe under the cheekbones to create a sculpted, more defined look
* Pat into the brow bone to open up the eye area
* A tiny amount around your lips makes lips look plumper and more youthful
* Always keep Touche Eclat on you and touch up after a long day to appear rested and refreshed.
* Combine shades #2 and #3 for a universally-flattering illuminator
* Shade #8 hides purple so it’s great for undereye circles
Star Product: YSL Touche Eclat, $55.
What’s your favourite tip for creating a flawless complexion?