Give your usual pasta salad a tasty twist with a dollop of your favourite relish, like zucchini pickle, and serve with lettuce leaves for a healthy lunch or easy vegetarian dinner.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
350g spiral or penne pasta
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
2/3 cup Anathoth Zucchini Pickle
1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
150g cherry tomatoes, halved
½ small red onion, sliced
1 ½ tablespoons chopped dill
salt and cracked black pepper
½ cup baby basil leaves, to serve
1 butter lettuce, to serve
1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Blanch the asparagus for 1-2 minutes until tender, then plunge into iced water. Drain and set aside.
3. Place the Anathoth Zucchini Pickle in a bowl with the mayonnaise and ¼ cup water. Mix until fully combined. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
4. Toss together the cooled pasta with the asparagus, tomatoes, red onion, dill, salt and pepper.
5. To serve, fold the Zucchini Pickle dressing through the salad. Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve in butter lettuce cups.
6. Note: if travelling, keep the dressing separate and add to the salad just before serving.
Alternatives: this pasta salad also works well with slices of smoked salmon, canned tuna or chunks of leg ham.
What’s your favourite meat free dinner?