These delicious, crispy vegetable fritters by Masterchef Philip Vakos make a lovely lunch or light dinner, served with fresh tomatoes and pan-fried asparagus on the side.
2 potatoes, peeled and grated
1 zucchini, grated
1 egg yolk
3 tblsp Chris’ Spinach & Pecorino Dip
¼ cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup plain flour
1 cup soft white bread crumbs
2 eggs and 1 egg white, beaten together
2 cups Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
oil for shallow frying
1. Combine grated potato, zucchini, egg yolk, Chris’ Spinach & Pecorino Dip, parsley, flour and soft white bread crumbs Mix until well combined.
2. Using wet hands shape ¼ cup measurements of mixture into patties.
3. Dip each pattie into beaten egg and coat well in Panko crumbs. Refrigerate patties for 15-20 minutes.
4. Heat oil in deep frying pan over medium heat (see tip below). Shallow fry patties until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve fritters with pan-fried asparagus, fresh heirloom tomatoes and a lemon wedge.
Note: To check the oil, put handle of a wooden spoon in the heated oil. Steady buddles mean the oil is ready. Vigorous bubbles mean oil is too hot and no bubbles mean oil is not hot enough.
Phil’s Tip: Fritters are also delicious made into tiny bites for entertaining.