Meat-Free Mondays: Ale And Mushroom Puff Pastry Pies
Who doesn’t love a puffy pastry pie in winter! These ale and mushroom pies taste just as rich and hearty as a traditional meat pie but are a great choice for Meat-Free Mondays.
2 large bunches spring onions
550g small chestnut mushrooms
1 tablespoon cornflour
½ teaspoon yeast extract like Vegemite
300-350 ml light ale
210g ready rolled puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Melt 50g of butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Roughly chop the bottom 7 cm of the spring onions and sauté briefly. Save the tops as you will need them later.
Cut the mushrooms into 5mm slices and add to the pan. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes until starting to colour, stirring to prevent sticking.
3. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the cornflour. Once back on the hob, add the Vegemite and ale. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to soften. Use more ale if the mixture seems too dry.
4. Divide the mixture into four small soufflé/ceramic pie dishes, then cut out four pastry circles to place on top, leaving some room to rise. Brush with milk and make a small hole in the top to let the steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
5. Serve with a crisp salad.
What’s your favourite winter pie?