This mushroom soup tastes creamy and decadent – but doesn’t contain any milk or cream! This is a completely dairy-free recipe so perfect for anyone who is lactose intolerant or vegan.
750g of any mushrooms (white, button, chestnut, flat, portabello, etc)
1½ – 2 litres of good quality vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic
1½ tbsp of chopped fresh tarragon
Salt to taste
1. Divide the mushrooms into three mixed piles. Keep one pile whole and roughly chop the other two piles.
2. Take the whole mushrooms and simmer them gently in the stock. Simmer gently until the mushrooms are soft and have absorbed as much liquid as possible. Take them off the heat and leave to stand in the stock.
3. Take one of the piles of chopped mushrooms and fry them in the olive oil, garlic and chopped tarragon until mushrooms start to brown. Set aside.
4. Add the fried mushrooms to the stewed mushrooms and blend with a hand blender until smooth.
5. Bring to simmer again and check seasoning, adding salt to taste. Add the uncooked mushrooms and pulse blend to ensure that some texture of the raw mushrooms remains. Add further vegetable stock if necessary to achieve suitable consistency.
What’s your favourite soup?