This twist on a traditional carbonara is spring on a plate! Replace the bacon with zucchini and peas and you have a bright-coloured vegetarian pasta that’s on the table in 15 minutes.
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 zucchinis, grated
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino
250g spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1. Boil water for pasta. In a frypan, cook the garlic in 2 Tablespoons olive oil for a few minutes (do not brown). Add the grated zucchini and season with salt. Cook for 10 minutes until the moisture has evaporated.
2. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
3. Add the frozen peas to the zucchini and saute for a few minutes until the peas are cooked through. In a bowl, combine the egg yolks and grated parmesan.
4. When the pasta is ready, drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Take the frypan off the heat, add the pasta and 1/2 cup of pasta water, then the egg yolk mixture. Toss quickly with tongs or two forks to combine everything. If the sauce is too dry, add a little more pasta water. Keep tossing until you have a creamy sauce.
5. Adjust the seasoning and finish with freshly grated pepper and more parmesan.
What are you cooking tonight?