Meringue Nests with Lime Curd And Passionfruit
Who doesn’t love a pav? Celebrate spring with these colourful meringue nests topped with luscious lime curd and passionfuit.
3 egg whites
225g castor sugar
6 egg yolks
4 passionfruit, pulp removed
150g butter, cut into cubes
Juice and finely grated zest of 3 limes
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C.
2. Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Continue beating and add half the sugar, adding 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Add the remaining sugar all at once and beat for a few minutes only.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spoon the mixture onto the trays, using a tbsp to shape a hollow in the centre. Bake on the lower oven shelves for 2 hours.
4. Allow the meringues to cool, and store in an airtight container. Meringues can be made up to 5 days prior to serving.
5 Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and thick. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir in the lime juice and zest. Continue to stir constantly with a wooden spoon over low heat until the mixture thickens.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool.
7. To serve the meringue nests, fill the centre cavity of the meringue nests with lime curd and place onto individual serving plates. Drizzle with passionfruit pulp and serve with a dollop of pure cream.