Moist Chocolate Banana Cake
This is a great recipe for when you have a couple of bananas sitting around that have seen better days. The cake is moist and soft, topped with an easy ganache frosting – and can also be baked into cupcakes.
1 3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup milk
1/2 vegetable or light olive oil
1 cup warm water
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 22 x 33cm rectangular baking pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
3. In another mixing bowl, lightly whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, mashed banana, oil, milk and warm water.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together until you get a smooth, lump-free batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack and top with ganache frosting.
200g chocolate (60-70%), chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1. In a medium-size saucepan, heat the cream until just hot but not boiling. Mix in the chocolate and stir until melted. Switch off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Whisk well until the ganache becomes smooth, then add the butter and stir through until combined.
3. Let the ganache cool to room temperature then frost the cake.
What’s your favourite chocolate cake recipe?