Recipe by Julia Blanter
You need to use cold, leftover rice for this recipe, as freshly-made rice has too much moisture and will turn gluggy in the pan.
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, sliced
2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons kecap manis (or soy sauce)
1 tsp sambal oelek or chilli sauce
1 spring onion, finely sliced
2 cups leftover white rice
Handful chopped coriander
Deep-fried shallots, to garnish (make your own or buy from Asian grocers)
1 chicken thigh, finely diced
8 cooked prawns
1. Heat a little peanut oil over medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add the tomato sauce, kecap manis or soy sauce and chili sauce and toss for 1 minute. Add the spring onion and stir to combine.
3. If using, add the diced chicken and cook through for 3 minutes, then add the prawns and stir around for another minute.
4. Add the rice and let it sit for 30 seconds to form a crust, then stir fry quickly for another minute to combine all the flavours. Remove from the pan and divide onto 2 serving plates.
5. Add a little more peanut oil to the pan. Fry the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Place a fried egg on top of each plate of rice. Garnish with coriander and fried shallots.