One Pot Lamb, Chickpea And Pumpkin Stew Recipe
In the midst of winter there’s nothing more satisfying than a hearty hotpot and this lamb, chickpea and pumpkin stew recipe ticks all the boxes: warming, healthy, convenient and delicious! What’s more it can be frozen and reheated for meals down the track.
300 g diced lamb leg
2 tbsp olive oil
200 g pumpkin, diced (Japanese or butternut are both good)
2 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
1 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
1 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
1 cinnamon quill
1 litre vegetable stock
2 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400 g canned cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and coriander
Thick natural yoghurt
Juice of 1 lemon
Extra lemon wedges to serve
- Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add vegetables and sauté for about 3 minutes until starting to soften, stir in spices until fragrant, then add stock and chickpeas and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes until well-flavoured and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 11⁄2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, brown lamb well all over, add to soup and simmer to warm through.
- Stir through a handful of parsley, squeeze in lemon juice to taste and check seasoning.
- Serve hot with thick natural yoghurt and scattered with extra smoked paprika.
Recipe courtesy of BeefandLamb.com.au