They say that scents can be a powerful memory trigger and nothing says Christmas like a hint of fresh orange, cinnamon and spice. With the festive season just around the corner, it’s time to start planning a tasty treat to remember!
Not only will this dish stimulate your senses, the Orange and Cinnamon Crème Brulee is an easy yet impressive way to round out any festive season feast, not to mention a welcomed alternative to the traditional mince pie or Christmas pudding.
Ingredients – serves 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes, cooking time: 10 minutes
6 egg yolks
1 cup of cream
1 ½ cups low fat milk
½ an orange, rind removed with peeler
½ a lemon, rind removed with peeler
1 cinnamon quill
1 vanilla bean split in half and seeds scraped out
1/3 cup caster sugar, plus caster sugar for dusting
1. Combine the milk, cream, orange and lemon rind, cinnamon and vanilla bean seeds in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
3. Pour the slightly cooled milk mix into the egg mix and combine well with a whisk.
Return mix back into the saucepan, heat and stir with a wooden spoon until thick and mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon – do not over heat or boil as this will curdle the egg.
4. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean jug.
5. Pour mixture into ramekins and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
6. Sprinkle evenly with sugar and caramelise with a blowtorch or place under a hot grill.
What are you making for Christmas dessert?