Panna Cotta With Coffee Syrup And Almond Toffee
Feel like a sweet treat and a bit of a pick-me-up as well that you can make yourself at home. We’ve got just dessert:
600ml thickened cream
80g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
4 gold strength gelatin leaves
200g caster sugar
100ml espresso-strength Gloria Jean’s Coffees Sereno Blend coffee
Coffee almond shards
200g caster sugar
80g almonds, coarsely chopped
½ tsp very finely ground Gloria Jean’s Coffees Sereno Blend coffee
- Place milk, cream, sugar and vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from heat and stand for 15 minutes to infuse. Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 3 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, gently reheat the cream mixture over low heat. Squeeze gelatine to remove excess liquid, then add leaves to cream and stir until dissolved. Cool slightly, then strain and pour into six 150ml serving glasses. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight until set.
- Meanwhile, for coffee syrup, bring sugar and 100ml water to the boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Brush down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush and cook over medium heat until a caramel coloured (5-10 minutes). Add coffee (being careful as hot caramel may spit) and stir over low heat until syrupy (1-2 minutes), then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, for coffee almond shards, bring sugar and 100ml water to the boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Brush down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush, cooking over medium heat until caramel coloured (5-10 minutes). Stir through almonds and coffee, pour onto a sheet of baking paper and set aside to cool (10-20 minutes). Break into shards and set aside.
- To serve – pour some syrup over the panna cottas and serve with the coffee almond shards. Serve extra syrup in a small jug.
Gloria Jean’s Coffees has a range of whole bean coffee available for purchase through any one of their coffee houses nationally or via http://www.gloriajeanscoffees.com.au/