Pineapple and Toasted Coconut Brown Rice Salad Recipe
One of our favourite quick dinner ideas in summer, this rice salad recipe is elevated with flavours of juicy pineapple and toasted coconut. Ready in just a few minutes, the salad goes really well with chicken, fish or burgers on the BBQ – or on its own as a leftover lunch.
½ cup shredded coconut
2 packets of microwave brown rice
1 red capsicum
Handful fresh mint
Handful fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Cracked black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Spread the coconut over a baking tray and roast in the oven for a few minutes, stirring every couple of minutes until light brown. Remove from the oven.
2. Meanwhile, cook the brown rice to packet instructions.
3. Cut the peel from the pineapple, core and cut the fruit into small pieces.
4. Cut the red capsicum in a small dice, discarding the seeds and core.
5. Roughly chop the fresh herbs.
6. In a salad bowl, mix all ingredients together, toss well and serve.
What ingredients do you like to add to a rice salad? Tell us in the comments!
Recipe by Dr Joanna McMillan for Australian Pineapples.