This Saturday October 22 get your loved ones together and host a National Breast Cancer Foundation Pink Ribbon Breakfast. Raise money for this worthy cause while enjoying a pink-themed high-tea. Start with classic egg, smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches and follow with these sweet pink cupcakes!
Egg, Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Double Decker Sandwiches
Serves 6. Preparation time: 10 minutes
4 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
4 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
9 slices wholegrain bread
100g smoked salmon, sliced
1 medium size Lebanese cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 spanish onion, peeled and thinly sliced
Pepper to taste
1. Place eggs into a bowl, add mayonnaise and pepper and mash with a fork.
2. Place four slices of bread onto a clean surface.
3. Top with salmon, cucumber and onion.
4. Top with another slice of bread and spread over the egg mixture.
5. Finish with the remaining bread slices.
6. Cut into fingers and serve.
Tip: Delicious with baby capers in the smoked salmon layer.
Serves 12. Preparation time: 15 minutes, cooking time: 25-30 minutes
For the cupcakes
125g polyunsaturated margarine
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups wholemeal plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup low fat milk
24 muffin papers
For the icing
??????????25g polyunsaturated margarine
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp low fat milk
Few drops of pink food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Place muffin papers into cupcake baking trays.
2. Place margarine into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy and pale in colour. Add sugar slowly until well combined.
3. Add the eggs very slowly one after the other.
4. Add the vanilla essence and beat until all ingredients are well combined.
5. Sift flour and baking powder, add half to the margarine mixture with half the milk, mix until well combined and repeat by adding the remaining flour, baking powder and milk.
6. Fill papers 3/4 full, place into the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, insert a skewer into the middle of a cupcake if it comes out clean the cupcakes are ready.
7. Transfer to a cooling rack and set aside to cool completely.
8. For the icing, cream the margarine until pale and smooth.
9. Add the milk and half the icing sugar and a few drops of food colouring. Beat until well combined then add the remaining icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
10. Spread the icing onto the cold cupcakes and serve.
Tip: If the icing is too thin add a little more icing sugar, if it is to firm add more milk.