Pork And Vegetable Hot Pot With Creamy Champ Recipe
Just because the warmer weather is setting in, doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a hearty vegetable hot pot. Created by 2014 Masterchef finalist Jamie Fleming, this recipe incorporates an Irish component of mashed potatoes, herbs and butter to deliver a full flavoured and authentic taste.
2 tbsp olive oil
650g pork neck
100g plain flour
150g speck, diced
2 small red onions, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large parsnip, peeled, cored and chopped
550ml Ocean Spray cranberry juice
500ml chicken stock
400gm whole tinned tomatoes
8 sage leaves
½ bunch of thyme
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
salt and pepper, to season
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
600g Desiree potatoes, peeled and chopped
¼ bunch of parsley, chopped
¼ bunch shallots, chopped
Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Lightly flour and brown pork in a casserole dish on a stove top with the olive oil and speck. Remove and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot and sweat garlic and onion. Add carrots and parsnip. Fry until cooked through.
- Add pork back to pot and allow to summer for 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Deglaze pan with Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, sage, thyme and mixed herbs.
- Once liquid is at a light simmer, transfer to oven with lid on for 90 minutes or until meat is tender and pulls apart easily.
- Place pot back on cook-top and allow to simmer. Add butter and vinegar to stew and reduce as desired.
- For champ, boil potatoes in salted water until soft and cooked through.
- Strain boiled potatoes and pass through a ricer to create mash.
- In a pan on low heat, beat milk and butter with a wooden spoon. Add mixture to potatoes and mix through. Season to taste and add shallots and parsley.
- Serve champ topped with stew.