Quinoa And Beetroot Salad With Roasted Garlic Dressing
Quinoa, used in South America for centuries, is the hero in this delicious salad inspired by the new Special K Nourish range. The roasted garlic dressing gives this salad a buttery, nutty flavour. The dressing works perfectly with the roasted beetroot and quinoa, while currants add just the right touch of sweetness.
150g white quinoa, washed well
2 large beetroots, stalks trimmed
2 tsp cumin seeds
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1 large bulb of garlic
2 tbsp tahini
100ml white wine vinegar
2 sprigs fresh mint
2 tbsp currants, plumped up in a little hot vinegar for 5 minutes
1 handful smoked almonds, chopped
100gms of fresh goats curd
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Place the beetroots on two sheets of foil, season and drizzle with oil then wrap tightly and place on a baking tray. Roast for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Drizzle the whole garlic bulb with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast alongside the beetroots for 35 minutes or until fragrant and soft.
- Remove the beetroots and garlic from the oven and allow to cool while still wrapped.
- Cook the quinoa in simmering water for around 8 minutes, drain and set aside at room temperature.
- Slice the roasted beetroot into wedges, approximately 8 slices per beet
- Combine the tahini, vinegar and 100ml of olive oil in a small measuring jug or cylindrical container. Squeeze the roasted garlic paste out of the skin and into the jug and blitz with a stick blender, adding between 60 and 100ml of water until you have a smooth and creamy dressing. Season to taste.
- Spread 3/4 cooked quinoa on a serving platter and top with the roasted beetroot slices. Spoon over the rest of the quinoa and then spoon over the dressing. Scatter over the currants, mint leaves, cumin seeds and smoked almonds and dollop here and there with some fresh goats curd. Lightly season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe by Karen Martini