Quinoa Cake Recipe
The nutty, chewy texture of quinoa elevates this healthy, low GI cake from nutritious to delicious. It’s just one of the tasty treats served at Sydney’s newest gourmet delight, Brioche the Bakery.
210g white quinoa
40g red quinoa
Shot or two of rum
750g full cream milk
1 vanilla bean
180g raw sugar
100g egg yolks
1. Soak quinoa in water overnight; drain before cooking.
2. Soak sultanas in rum for 1 hour before baking.
3. Preheat the oven to 150C. Cook the soaked quinoa in the milk and vanilla on a slow heat until soft and puffy and the quinoa has absorbed almost all the milk.
4. In a bowl, mix sugar and egg yolks until combined, add in melted warm butter, mix. Stir in cooked quinoa, soaked sultana and dates.
5. Pour into a greaseproof paper-lined 9″ round cake tin. Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool in the pan.
Isn’t this a great idea? Local foodie Fiona Wilkinson has just opened Brioche the Bakery, in Sydney’s Balmain, serving delicious low-GI, gluten-free, organic and dairy-free foods that contain no artificial additives and over-processed ingredients.