Natural Superfood Bar Recipe
Forget about buying overly processed muesli bars, because now you can make your own healthy snack with Janella Purcell’s superfood bar recipe.
Not only are the bars gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan friendly, they’re also packed with nutritious ingredients including hemp seeds, spirulina, maca powder and cacao nibs.
1 cup pitted dates, or dried figs
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1⁄4 cup Lifestream spirulina
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup cacao nibs
1/2 cup coconut shredded
2 tbsp maca powder
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp cardamom, ground
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- Cover the dried fruit, nuts and seeds in clean water and soak for at least 8 hours.
- After soaking, rinse them in a colander and let them drain.
- Place the soaked dried fruit and nuts/seeds in your food processor and whiz for 1 minute to get a chunky paste.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. You may need to add a little water to get it to a nice puree, scraping down the sides once or twice – if it’s too dry, add in 1/4 cup more coconut oil and process again (the processing will heat the coconut oil enough to help it blend everything).
- Scoop the mixture out into a large glass pan and press it down firmly with a spoon to even everything out. Alternatively you could also make these into bite-sized balls.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate for one hour to harden.
- Cut with a knife and package them individually.
Recipe Courtesy Of Lifestream