This lovely light yoghurt cake is flavoured with pistachios and oranges and drizzled with a delicious yoghurt icing, the perfect weekend baking project to serve for afternoon tea.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
100g whole pistachio nuts, shelled
1/2 cup organic self raising flour
1 1/4 cups fine semolina
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup (180g) five:am natural organic yoghurt or Vanilla Bean organic yoghurt
3 organic free range eggs
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 oranges, zest and juice
Pistachio nuts, to decorate
1/2 cup pure icing sugar
3/4 cup (180g) five:am Vanilla Bean organic yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add pistachios, self raising flour, semolina, bicarbonate soda and sugar, mix well to combine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the five:am natural organic yoghurt, eggs and oil.
4. Add orange juice and zest to egg mixture.
5. Whilst stirring the flour mixture, slowly add yoghurt mixture until well combined. Rest for 5 minutes.
6. Spoon mixture into a greased 24cm cake tin. Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes or until cooked.
7. Allow cake to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
8. When cool, drizzle yoghurt icing over cake and decorate with pistachio nuts.
1. Mix icing sugar and five:am Vanilla Bean organic yoghurt together until well combined.
2. Allow to thicken in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes before spreading on cake.
Tip: Keep the frosted cake out of sunlight or heat, as this frosting easily melts.
What are you baking this weekend?