Nespresso’s head of coffee, Karsten Ranitzsch, has given us his top 5 tips for at-home baristas and a special recipe for Caramelito Affogato.
1. Get frothy: The density of froth changes depending on the type of milk used. Milk with a high fat content makes a richer and denser froth, whereas milk with a low fat content will make a lighter, more aerated froth.
2. Learn the language: Impress your guests with your coffee knowledge. A Caffé Latte in Italian simply means ‘coffee and milk’, while the word Macchiato literally translates as ‘stained’, meaning to make the coffee with a stain of milk.
3. Create new tasting experiences: Try adding coffee to sweet and savoury recipes, whether it’s a simple Affogato for dessert or as part of a savoury dish. Check out www.nespresso.com/coffee-and-milk for more recipes.
4. Serve wisely: The design, size and shape of your coffee cup can improve the coffee-drinking experience, as the shape has an impact on the structure and consistency of the crema. For espresso, serve in a small cup made of porcelain or glass and for coffee with milk, use a taller glass.
5. A perfect match: When pairing coffee with snacks, coffee should enhance the flavour not overpower it. The trick is to look for complementary flavour notes, so pair strong coffee with intense, rich treats such as dark chocolate and mild blends with delicate snacks like puff pastry.
Salted caramel cream
110g caster sugar
95g fresh cream
70g unsalted butter
1 capsule of Caramelito Variations (coffee grounds)
40g caster sugar
40g ground almonds
25g plain flour
10g cocoa powder
Salt (just a pinch)
35g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Vanilla ice cream
1 capsule of Caramelito Variations (40mL)
- To make the caramel cream, scald cream and set aside.
- Dry caramelise sugar and dissolve thoroughly until golden brown.
- Add caramel to cream and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in butter and cool.
- Mix crumble ingredients in a bowl, including the coffee grounds from one Caramelito Variations capsule.
- Bake for 20 minutes in 330 degrees F (165 degrees C) oven.
- Pour salted caramel cream into a glass and then place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- To finish, pour hot Nespresso Variations Caramelito coffee on top of ice cream and sprinkle with crumble.
Tip: For a simple, everyday affogato, place a generous scoop of ice cream into individual glasses and pour your favourite Grand Cru coffee over the top. For an indulgent treatafter dinner, use Decaffeinato Intenso.
Recipe by Darren Purchese, chef and owner of Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio in Melbourne