Spring is the season for entertaining, so why not create this Mexican rice salad for your friends and family this weekend? If you’re not a fan of the heat, this particular dish contains an even balance of spice and flavour, and also incorporates some lush, fresh ingredients including pineapple, capsicum and cherry tomatoes.
3 cups cooked basmati rice, chilled
2 corn cobs
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
400g fresh pineapple, diced
½ red capsicum, diced
½ green capsicum, diced
½ yellow capsicum, diced
½ red onion, finely diced
2 sticks celery, diced
¼ cup coriander, roughly chopped
Cholula Hot Sauce and lime dressing
2 tbsp Cholula Original Hot Sauce
1 large lime, juiced
1 tbsp castor sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat a grill pan over a high heat and rub a little olive oil over the corn cobs.
- Place the cobs onto the grill pan and cook each side for around 5 minutes until the corn is charred and slightly blackened in places. Remove from the pan to cool.
- Cut the kernels off the cooled cob of corn by placing the corn cob on an angle and carefully cutting from the top. Add the corn kernels to a large salad bowl.
- Into the same salad bowl add the basmati rice, pineapple, cherry tomatoes, capsicums, red onion, celery and chopped coriander. Toss all of the ingredients together to combine.
- In a small jar place the Cholula Original Hot Sauce, lime juice, castor sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper and place the lid on. Gently shake the dressing ingredients together to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- Drizzle the dressing over the rice salad and gently toss to coat all of the ingredients in the dressing.
- Garnish with a sprig of coriander.