My Kitchen Rules winners Sammy and Bella share an easy dinner recipe for a salad that’s bursting with delicious Thai flavours – and a great way to cook with healthy turkey!
600g skinless turkey breast
½ bunch coriander
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp extra light olive oil
1 bunch snake beans
1 avocado, ripe
1 lebanese cucumber
1 long red chilli
¼ cup cashew nuts, roasted
1 cup bean sprouts
½ bunch thai basil, leaves picked
2 Tbsp crispy shallots
For the passionfruit dressing
1/3 cup passionfruit pulp (about 3)
2 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp ginger, freshly grated
1. Slice turkey breast into 1cm thick pieces. Thoroughly wash coriander, pick and reserve leaves. Roughly chop remaining roots and stems and place in a mortar and pestle along with garlic and salt. Pound into a smooth paste, then mix with olive oil and coat turkey generously. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Cut snake beans into 3cm batons and blanch for 30 seconds, then drain and allow to cool. Slice avocado and cucumber, chop chilli. Roast cashews until golden and fragrant. Allow to cool.
3. Place turkey under a hot grill and cook for about 3 minutes on either side, or until cooked through.
4. For the dressing, remove pulp from passionfruit. Remove stems from kaffir lime leaves and chop very finely. Whisk passionfruit pulp, kaffir lime, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and grated ginger until the sugar has dissolved. Check for seasoning to make sure there is enough saltiness, sweetness and acidity.
5. For the salad, mix snake beans, avocado, cucumber, chilli, cashew nuts, bean sprouts with half the dressing. Spread on a wide flat serving plate and top with turkey, basil and coriander leaves and a sprinkling of crispy shallots. Drizzle over remaining dressing and serve immediately.
What’s your favourite Thai recipe?