Kale, being the most nutrient dense food on the planet, is the go-to base for any salad this season. So if you’re looking to serve up something fresh and wholesome, give this spiced beef, pumpkin and kale salad a whirl! Not only is it super simple to make, it contains lots of protein and nutrients to keep you feeling nourished and full.
2 x 200g round steaks (about 2cm thick)
1⁄4 small Japanese pumpkin, peeled and cut into wedges
1 small broccoli, thickly sliced (keep the pieces large as it makes it easier to handle)
1⁄2 tsp each cracked black pepper, chilli flakes and ground coriander
2 cups coarsely torn kale (about 1⁄2 bunch)
1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
3⁄4 cup coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp roasted pepitas
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 1⁄4 tbsp each tahini, lemon juice and olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Drizzle pumpkin with 1 tbsp olive oil, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and roast on a baking paper-lined oven tray, turning occasionally for about 25 minutes until browned on the edges and tender.
- Preheat a char-grill to high. Combine about 1 tbsp olive oil with pepper, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt, brush over steaks and set aside at room temperature while you cook the broccoli.
- Drizzle broccoli slices with 1 tbsp olive oil and char-grill, turning occasionally for about 8 minutes until just tender and charred a bit on the edges, then when cool enough to handle, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Wipe char-grill clean then cook steaks, turning once, until browned and cooked to your liking (5-6 minutes for medium-rare, 7-8 minutes for medium), transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then thickly slice.
- Mix the yoghurt-tahini sauce ingredients in a bowl to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the meat rests, combine the kale, shallot, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and garlic in a large bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well with your hands until the kale starts to soften (2-3 minutes).
- Toss through the beef, chopped broccoli, parsley, barley and pepitas. Spread a little tahini dressing on serving plates, pile the salad on top and serve.
Recipe courtesy of BeefandLamb.com.au