We love cooking with orzo (and the kids love eating it), especially in this custardy baked pasta dish. It’s a great way to use up leftovers – think roast chicken and bacon, or keep it veg with mushrooms, spinach and cheese.
1 cup orzo
300g mixed mushrooms
1 large red onion or leek, thinly diced
300g baby spinach
150g feta, crumbled
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk
Handful toasted pine nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Cook the orzo in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms and onion or leek in a little olive oil until cooked, about 8 minutes. Add the baby spinach at the last minute until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper and add to the orzo.
3. Add the crumbled feta to the orzo mixture, taste and season again if needed.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, yoghurt and milk together, season and stir into the orzo mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture into an oiled 20x12cm baking dish (square or round) and bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is lightly golden. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve with a crisp salad.
What’s your favourite pasta bake recipe?