Red Velvet Cupcake and Cocktail Recipe
Babe Scott, a.k.a The Lazy Hostess, shares a seductive Valentine’s Day red velvet cupcake and red velvet cocktail recipe. You know what to do with all that luscious frosting…
Red Velvet Cupcake
300g all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1⁄2 tsp salt
325ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp red food colouring
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 1⁄2 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
230g cream cheese, room temperature
113g unsalted butter, softened
120g confectioners sugar
2 tbsp strawberry liqueur
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat sugar and vegetable oil together with a electric mixer. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and red food coloring and mix well.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix well after each addition.
4. In a small bowl add the vinegar to the baking soda. Stir well, there should be a small bubbling reaction. Add this into the batter and mix well.
5. Evenly fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way full with batter and bake for 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
6. To make the frosting, in a large bowl, with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add the confectioners sugar until all in incorporated. Add the strawberry liquor and mix well.
Red Velvet Cupcake Martini
50 ml Vodka
15 ml Strawberry liqueur
15 ml Bailey’s Irish cream Strawberry, for garnish
Red sugar, for garnish (optional)
Pour the vodka, strawberry liqueur and Baileys into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a strawberry. For added decoration, rim the glass with red sugar before pouring.
* Make the red sugar by pouring some sugar into a bowl and mixing with a few drops of red food coloring. Let dry and then store in an air-tight container