We love using Carême Sour Cream Pastry for sweet and savoury dishes, like this roasted mushroom and goat curd tart, which makes a delicious quick dinner served with a crisp, green salad. You can also try topping the pastry with other ingredients such as semi roasted roma tomatoes and black olive tapanade or roast capsicum and goat curd.
1 x 225g block Carême Sour Cream Pastry defrosted
1 egg beaten
10 x 8-10cm mushrooms wiped clean, stems removed
25g unsalted butter cut into cubes
1 clove garlic finely sliced
salt & pepper
100g goat curd
extra virgin olive oil or truffle oil (optional)
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley chopped
1. Preheat oven to 220C.
2. Take the block of pastry and lightly dust with flour, fold in the corners and gently bring together to form a roundish ball. Lightly dust rolling pin with flour and roll out a rough circle of approx. 31cm in diameter. Transfer pastry to baking sheet lined with baking paper. Egg wash a 4cm border then fold the edge of the pastry over the egg washed area. The border will have creases and should look rustic, gently press down to seal. Using the tip of a knife make small pin pricks over the inside of the tart. Place int the fridge to rest while you prepare the mushrooms.
3. Heat heavy-based ovenproof pan over moderate heat, add a dash of olive oil then mushrooms, toss, season with salt & pepper. Add butter then garlic, toss again and place pan (or transfer to baking dish and place in oven) in oven for 5-8 minutes unitl mushrooms are tender. Drain mushrooms on kitchen paper.
4. Reduce oven to 180C and bake pastry for 20 minutes until golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and using a teatowl to cover gently press down the middle of the tart to flatten. Then dot with a layer of goat curd, top this with the mushrooms in a concentric pattern, finish with a good spoonful of goat curd in the centre of the tart, return to the oven for 3 minutes to warm through.
6. To finish drizzle with extra virgin olive oil or truffle oil and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
What’s your favourite savoury tart?