You can have your cake and eat it too!
With 2016 in full swing, it’s time we live up to our New Year’s resolutions and start to focus on how to begin a healthier, sweeter existence, And what better way to kickstart that then chowing down on these decadent guilt-free cupcakes?
Gluten-free and with no hidden sugars and all natural ingredients, this is the perfect cupcake recipe to add to your 2016 baking repertoire…
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/3 cup of xylitol
- 1/2 cup of almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon of gluten free baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup of good quality sugar-free dark chocolate, chopped
Raspberry and Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup of light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of xylitol or to taste
- 2/3 cup of fresh raspberry puree, strained
1. Preheat oven to 338°F/180°C fan-forced. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
2. Use an electric beater to beat the eggs and xylitol in a large bowl, on high speed, until pale and creamy.
3. Add the almond meal, gluten free baking powder and salt, then beat on medium speed until well combined.
4. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl which is large enough to cover the saucepan, and set aside.
5. Once the water is boiling, remove from the heat and place the prepared bowl of butter and chocolate on the top, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir gently to melt.
6. Once melted and fully combined, add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
7. Divide the mixture evenly into the cupcake papers. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8. While the cupcakes are cool, use an electric beater to whisk all frosting ingredients together, then spread or pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate as desired.
Recipe and image courtesy of sweetlife.com.au and Carolyn Hartz. Carolyn’s Sugar Free Baking is available at Go Vita Health Food Stores and selected pharmacies and health food stores.