Simon Ward’s Healthy Quinoa Bircher Muesli Recipe
If you’re looking for a healthy quinoa bircher muesli that tastes great and fits with your post-holiday meal plan, Simon Ward, Executive Chef at Hammer and Tong, has created a recipe that’s packed with superfood goodness. With a mix of quinoa, oats, goji berries and coconut, this wholesome meal is the perfect way to kick-start your Monday and keep those energy levels high.
2 cups Rolled oats
1⁄2 cup Red quinoa
1⁄2 cup Black quinoa
1⁄4 cup golden raisins
1⁄4 cup goji berries
1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
1⁄4 cup currants
1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
3 1⁄2 tblsp coconut sugar
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 3⁄4 cup Apple juice
1 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients except for the coconut sugar.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients and coconut sugar. Use a whisk to ensure there are no lumps of sugar, and that it is fully dissolved in the liquid.
- Combine all together, mixing to ensure that there are no areas of dry ingredients separate from wet ingredients. This should resemble a textured wet cake mix.
- Cover with a cartouche and leave to absorb in the fridge overnight – this will stop a crust forming on the top from air drying it out. A cartouche can be made from either using baking paper or glad wrap touching the top of the mixture. The difference in the mixture once it is ready will be visual. You should be able to tell that all of the fruits and oats have absorbed the liquid of which there will not be a huge excess.
- Serve bircher muesli with fresh natural yogurt and some berry compote (a nice reduced sauce of mixed berries and a small amount of sugar).