Spiced Duck With Broad Bean And Cherry Salad Recipe
With the rich flavour and high protein content of duck meat, this dish is the perfect balance of nutritious and delicious. Spiced with star anise, cardamon and cinnamon and topped with a cherry sauce, this recipe is well worth the effort.
4 duck breasts
1 cinnamon quill
½ star anise
2 cardamon pods
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 small fennel bulb
1 small green apple
100g broad beans, blanched and podded
1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted, roughly chopped
3 spring onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
½ cup mint leaves, washed
1 cup fresh cherries, de seeded
50ml red wine vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
150ml olive oil
- In a dry pan, lightly toast the juniper, anise, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and pepper.
- When toasted and aromatic, add to a mortar and pestle with the salt and grind to a fine powder.
- Pat the duck breasts dry, score the skin and rub well with the spice mix.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, place the duck breasts skin side down and cook to render the fat for 5 – 7 minutes. Flip breast over, cook for a further 4-5 mins, remove from pan and rest.
- For the salad, shave the fennel and cut the apple into matchsticks. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl, season with salt, cracked pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- For the dressing, add all ingredients into a jar, shake well to infuse.
- Place the salad onto a serving plate, slice the duck and place on top. Drizzle with cherry dressing.
Recipe via Minchinbury Wines