How To Stay Motivated And Reach Your Goals
Whether you’re finding it hard to get out and exercise, drag yourself to work or you’ve been procrastinating about completing that assignment that should have been finished long ago, we’ve all been there. Sometimes it’s hard to find motivation if you lose sight of what it is you’re striving for, so here are some simple tips that should help you to find your motivation again and reach that goal.
- Set a goal of what you want to accomplish in the end and visualise it in your mind in complete detail. If you want to lose ten kilos then visualise yourself weighing less and looking great or if you want to finish writing that book, visualise it sitting on the shelf at the bookstore, your name written on the cover. Having a clear view of what you want to achieve will help you to stay motivated.
- Make a list of the reasons why you want to achieve you goal. Is it for money? For health reasons or for your own personal satisfaction? Having a goal is all well and good but if you don’t know why you’re working towards that goal, then it’s kind of pointless. You must be doing it for a reason.
- When you’ve decided what your end goal is, break it down into smaller targets so it doesn’t seem so overwhelming. Chipping away at your goal over time and taking realistic steps towards it will keep you more motivated than if you were just aiming for the end goal. If you’re losing weight, aim for losing 1 kilo a week or if you’re writing a book, aim to write a chapter a week. Reaching those smaller milestones will inspire you to keep going and don’t forget to reward yourself when you reach them.
- Have a flexible plan of how you’re going to achieve your goal. You should have a general idea of how you’re going to work towards your goal, but if things don’t go to plan, don’t give up – simply try another tactic. You need to be prepared for speed bumps along the way and then have the determination to overcome them.
- Tell people about your goal who can support you along the way, so if you find that you’re struggling to reach those smaller milestones you’ll have people around you who can encourage to keep going. Having someone else to remind you why you’re working towards your goal can be much more satisfying than hearing it from yourself. Also if you’ve announced to your friends that you’re planning on achieving something, it’s more likely that you’ll try your hardest to make it happen, almost for fear of failing.
- If you find your motivation is lagging perhaps try and think about role models that have succeeded in the past, but not without hard work. Compare what they had to endure to your situation and sometimes this can make yours seems so much more achievable. People who have fought in a war or those who have fought serious illnesses are an inspiration to most, so consider their hard fight to yours.
And if those tips weren’t enough, read these inspirational quotes that are sure to keep you heading on your path to success.
“I have not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas Edison
“All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney
“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others have thrown at him.” – David Brinkley
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
Image via loopele.com