Sublime Summer Skin!
We all know the damaging effects the sun rays can have on our skin. Unfortunately some fake tans don’t look as good as a natural tan, but we’ve got some great tips to make you look sunkissed and beautiful!
National Director of Training for Academie, Anita Simmonds, outlines the golden rules to fake tanning.
1. Preparation is the key to success – exfoliation and moisturising are essential.
2. Do a test run to make sure the colour suits your complexion
3. Don’t use a body self-tanner for the face – use an oil free face formula
4. Read the instructions carefully
5. Do all hair removal before applying the tan
6. Be generous with your tanner. Skimping can cause patchy results (but be sparing with feet, ankles, elbows and knees)
7. When using a gel or cream, apply in a circular motion using the palm of your hand. Never use the fingers as they can streak the colour
8. Wash your hands afterwards! Hands have 40 percent more pores and if you don’t wash them quickly you could have those tell tale orange hands
9. Polish (not exfoliate) and moisturise the skin every day to maintain your tan
If you want a natural looking tan, you can’t go past Model Co. Tan Airbrush in a Can. This distinctive pink can gives a perfect all over tan that lasts for days. The fine mist has a golden pigment to let you know exactly where you’ve tanned so you won’t have that ugly patchy skin! RRP $32 from David Jones, Myer and selected independents. www.modelco.com.au. Other great products on the market are Academie Bronz’Express Lotion for the Body (RRP $29 www.academiebeaute.com) and Nivea new sun range including Nivea Sun Touch Moisturing Self Tan Spray ($19.25 www.nivea.com.au
Bronze it up
If you want the bronze Aussie look without spending on a self-tanner, bronzing products are for you. One of the best bronzers on the market is the Elizabeth Arden Bronze Goddess Bronzer (compact) and the Summer Glow Shimmer Brush (very convenient built-in bronzer brush!) They both give a natural rosey tan like you?ve been at the beach all day, making the skin look radiant. The texture is silky smooth and the brush spreads the powder easily for a flawless finish which also doesn’t accentuate fine lines around eyes. Although matte, they do have a slight shimmer that enhances the finish and stays true all day. Worth the investment!
RRP $49 for both Sun Goddess Bronzing Powder and Summer Glow Shimmer Brush.
If you want a less expensive bronzer, you can’t go past the Australis Bronzing Powder in ‘Sunkissed’. It provides a deep, rich colour that gives an instant summer glow. And at only RRP $11.95, you can’t go wrong! www.australiscosmetics.com.au
If you end up outside at some point this summer (which of course you will!), don’t forget to cover yourself in sunscreen. Fortunately there are a variety of new Sun Sprays, so the process of slip slop slap just became a lot easier! Nivea Sun Spray has SPF15+ protection, is water resitant for up to 2 hours and is easily absorbed. An added bonus is moisturising properties and vitamin E cream which makes it so nice on the skin! UV Triplegard have also released a Sptray Suncream. The protection is SPF30+ and has a maximum of four hours water protection.
RRP $15.95 Nivea Sun Spray SPF15+ 200ml
RRP $10.99 UV Triplegard Spray Sunscreen SPF30+ 125ml