Surviving the party season: the couples guide
What with work Christmas parties, street parties, Carols by Candlelight, plus the school picnic, friends’ bbqs and family events, it’s not uncommon to feel a little stretched. You’ve barely got enough time to shop for the million Christmas presents let alone spend some time with your partner! If you’re feeling your romantic life is lacking this season, read Kathy B’s tips to surviving the party season.
1. Don?t get so obsessed with seeing every single person you know over the holidays so you forget about spending quality time with your partner. After all this time of year is supposed to be about relaxing, having fun and being with the people you love the most.
2. If you find there are dozens of people you feel guilty about not seeing then why don?t you organize a casual drinks night in a pub or a barbeque at your place so you can invite everyone over. That way you?ll have a chance to catch up with everyone on one night, rather than getting yourself completely booked out and so exhausted you won?t have time to give your partner some one on one romantic time.
3. Don?t be afraid of side-stepping the truth a little. You and your partner should put aside one night a week, or even better a whole weekend, to spend completely alone. There?s no need to tell anyone, but if you are asked, just say, ?That weekends already booked up but how about next Wednesday?? Then don?t elaborate any further.
4. Don?t go overboard with writing cards and buying presents for everyone you?ve ever met. You should be having fun, not constantly ticking things off your never-ending to do list.
5. If you really want to put the sparkle in his Christmas then why don?t you try surprising him one night in a Santa hat and some sexy red lingerie? I?m sure that will guarantee one very Merry Christmas for both of you.
6. At the end of the day remember that keeping up the romance and actually spending some time with your partner over the holidays should be right at the top of your Christmas wish list.
Kathy B is the author of books including Charm School: The Modern Girl’s Complete Handbook of Etiquette and Happy Endings.