Suffering from tonnes of blackheads, bumps and imperfections on your face with no explanation? It could come down to the ingredients found in your daily skincare and beauty routine. Avoid the following ingredients next time you’re looking for a new beauty product – it could just be the trigger of bad skin!
Although it’s commonly used as an anti-ageing cream, Retin A can cause the skin to lose its elasticity and thin over time.
Mostly found in shampoos and conditioners, this cleansing agent could be detrimental to the skin on your face.
Although this one is too common to avoid, more skincare and beauty companies are eliminating this preservative in their products. Not only has it been proven to cause damage to the endocrine system, it can also break out the skin on a cellular level.
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
Not only is sodium lauryl sulfate bad for your skin, it can also cause damage to the immune system – eek!
Who knew that something so sweet could be so bad? Steer clear of fragrance if you suffer from extremely sensitive or dry skin, since it can cause breakouts and irritation.
Make sure you restrict shea butter to just the body, it can clog pores and disrupt the natural oils of your face.
Stay well away from mineral oils since they are actually made from petroleum. Who knew?
Image via iStock
The big chill’s coming, baby, so it’s time to banish those winter blues with a little bit of help from beauty land.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to stock up on good-quality products to safeguard your skin against the bitter cold. Two of my favourite ‘green’ beauty brands, Arbonne and Burt’s Bees, will do just that, as well as providing extra hydration and TLC. Here are She Said’s top 5 tips on how you can maintain a healthy glow this winter, sister.
- Switch to a creamy cleanser: A temperature drop can leave your skin feeling dry, dull and cracked. Instead of reaching for your gel cleanser, make the switch to a creamy cleanser which works hard to remove dirt and make-up without stripping your skin of if its natural oils and moisture. Try: Arbonne RE9 Advanced Smoothing Facial Cleanser, $61, which comes in a rich, pearlescent formula and gently washes away make-up and impurities, leaving skin feeling smooth and refreshed.
- Indulge in a weekly treatment mask: Winter skin requires extra TLC and calls for a pampering treatment mask which goes the extra mile. Complement your night beauty cream by treating yourself to a moisturising mask once a week. This will help to banish dry skin and give your face an extra boost of much-needed hydration. Try: Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Treatment Mask, $39.95. This baby will leave your skin feeling as soft and supple as a baby’s bum.
- Nourish your skin overnight: Want to sleep your way to glowing skin? Invest in an overnight, leave-on mask which works the night shift to hydrate, nourish and smooth your skin – all while you sleep! Try: Arbonne RE9 Advanced Intense Hydration Overnight Mask, $84, which replenishes skin with an extra boost of moisture. The soothing and fast-absorbing formula means you can go to bed with this mask on without feeling greasy. Even better, you’ll wake up to a dewy and refreshed complexion.
- Pucker up to a hydrating lip balm: Chapped lips are a definite deal breaker in winter. Keep dry, cracked lips at bay with a moisturising lip balm that works to soothe and nourish so that you can keep your pout soft and kissable 24/7. Try: Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Squeezable Beeswax Lip Balm, $8.95. A big favourite of mine, this low-cost superstar contains moisturising beeswax and vitamin E to keep lips soft and replenished, plus a splash of peppermint for that signature tingle. Love!
- Pamper your hands and feet: Investing in a good skincare regime for your face is a must in winter, but don’t forget about the other hard-working parts of your body as well. Look for rich and pampering creams for your hands and feet to help shield them from the harsh, dry elements of winter. Try: Burt’s Bees Coconut Foot Cream, $24.95. This lovely cream combines coconut oil, lanolin and vegetable glycerin to revive and rejuvenate even the driest, most neglected feet. It’s a winter must-have and smells heavenly to boot.
The big chill’s coming, baby, and with it a plethora of fab, new autumn/winter beauty products to love, on-counter now. It’s time to embrace your dark side with sexy, new, heavier fragrances and makeup in these gorgeous, darker hues. You’ll also need some TLC in the colder weather, so it’s an ideal time to invest in some lush body-care products. These are a few of my favourite things!
Go for gold: Soccer star and doting dad, David Beckham, has never looked hotter. His secret? It’s allegedly Instinct Gold Edition, which was recently launched to celebrate 10 years of the sexy men’s fragrance. This limited-edition fragrance is said to capture “the elegance, style and modern masculinity that is synonymous with David himself,” according to the PR, so you might want to get it for your man, girlfriend!
The new fragrance is a classic fougère, blending an instant flash of freshness with a vibrant heart. Dynamic and masculine, Instinct Gold Edition has an invigorating blend of lemon and bergamot oil. David Beckham Instinct Gold Edition Eau de Toilette, 50ml, is $39 at leading department stores.
Pure velvet: Rimmel has launched a new era of matte colour with the launch of Apocalips Matte Lip Velvet and Velvet Matte Nail Collection. This means ‘the London look’ just got sassier. The Apocalips Matte Lip Velvet, $15.95, has a new, mousse-like texture which is said to quickly set to a unique velvety matte finish with a flattering soft-focus effect. It comes in a powerful palette of four volcanic shades from rose through to a zesty orange.
Meanwhile, the Velvet Matte Nail Collection, $8.95, has some of the most opulent jewel shades of the season. I love them! These fashion-forward nails are the business, ladies – no top coat needed. Choose from slate grey, purply red, dark cobalt or inky black. Put it in your diary, ladies: these babies will be on-counter from March.
Killer moves: There’s not a pop star alive, at the top of her game, who doesn’t have her own fragrance. So, try Killer Queen’s Spring Reign by Katy Perry for something different this autumn. The fourth fragrance to join Katy Perry’s royal fragrance family, Spring Reign is a fresh and fruity floral featuring notes of pink freesia, may flower rose and violet petals. Housed in a pretty jewel-shaped bottle, Katy Perry Killer Queen’s Spring Reign Eau de Parfum, 100ml, is available for $69.
Flower power: Waterlily Skin Body Spa, a new, luxury skin and body-care brand formulated with the purest botanical ingredients, will help save your skin this autumn. The Waterlily collection features a vast selection of daily cleansers, hydrating toners, smoothing exfoliants, rich mineral masques, performance serums, moisturisers, eye treatments and lip and blemish repair, all formulated with the highest quality aromaceutical essential oils and exotic infusions.
My top pick is the Pink Frangipani Collection, which has lashings of exotic frangipani absolute coupled with neroli blossom and sweet orange rind to promote beautifully rejuvenated skin. The Pink Frangipani Collection Body Wash is $37; Body polish is $50.50; Infused Salt Glow is $59; Body Balm is $53; and the Pink Frangipani and Pineapple Hand & Body Créme is $49.50.
During the warmer months, keeping your skin soft and supple can be a challenge. A combination of dry warm days, swimming in chlorinated pools and a little too much UV can leave your skin feeling dry and dehydrated in no time.
Here’s a few simple key skincare tips to help you hold onto that dewy glow.
Keep your beauty routine simple
The cleaner your beauty and makeup routine, the better. Especially in the warmer months as your skin is already dealing with increased changes – being exposed to harsh sunlight which can lead to skin dehydration and warm days which means more sweating.
If you can afford to, keep your daytime makeup to a minimum. This is when heat is at its peak and you’re more likely to clog up your pores with makeup and perspiration. Leave your detailed makeup looks for the evening when you’re less likely to get hot and bothered.
Use a hydrating mask
This is a great way to plug back in that lost moisture after a long and hot day on the beach. Cloth face masks are especially good for thorough, instant moisturisation and hydration, as they are literally dripping with nutrients and sit right next to the dermal layer of skin. Try Skin Republic’s CoQ10 + Caviar Face Mask Sheet for intense hydration and improved skin elasticity.
Use an SPF
Use sunscreen and use it wisely. Starting the day with an SPF moisturiser should be the first step in your beauty routine. Opt for something that provides UVA and UVB protection to make sure you’ve got all bases covered.
If you’re out in the sunshine all day, remember a hat and be sure to reapply every few hours.
Use a spritzer
This is a handbag must-have especially for those long, hot summer days. When your skin is feeling down and dry, simply pump a few sprays onto your face, neck, arms and legs. Cool off and add back that lost hydration!
Easier said than done but you must drink water, and lots of it! There’s no point trying to keep your skin moisturised if you neglect nourishing your body from the inside out. We recommend eight glasses a day – and more if you’re out and about in the heat.
These summer skincare tips are brought to you by Skin Republic. For more on nourishing and hydrating skincare products visit www.theskinrepublic.com.au