Black beans, also known as turtle beans, are extremely healthy and jam packed full of vitamins and nutrients that can benefit your health. Whether you eat them fresh or from a can, the health benefits are the same.
So here are some fast facts about black beans:
- They have a rich flavour sometimes compared to mushrooms.
- One cup of black beans provides 15 grams of protein and none of the saturated fat found in red meat which means that they are an excellent choice for vegetarians or for those needing more protein in their diet.
- Black beans contain no cholesterol.
- When teamed with rice they provide all of the essential amino acids that your body needs.
- Black beans have the highest level of antioxidant activity compared to all other types of beans. Antioxidants can help lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- They are high in fibre – a cup of cooked beans contains 15 grams.
- Black beans contain soluble and insoluble fibre. The insoluble fibre aids digestion and prevents constipation while the soluble fibre helps lower cholesterol and blood-sugar levels.
- One cup of black beans contains approximately 120 milligrams of magnesium which is commonly associated with cardiovascular protection.
- One cup of black beans contains 256 micrograms of folate, making them an excellent food for pregnant women.
- They are a great source of copper which is essential for healthy heart function and promoting healthy skin, hair and nails.
Sound great don’t they? Try this healthy black bean salad to reap some of the benefits.
15 Minute Black Bean Salad
½ cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups of black beans
1 cup of corn kernels
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
½ cup red pepper, diced
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, coarsely chopped
¼ cup chopped coriander
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and serve, it’s that simple!
Image via 3.bp.blogspot.com