Celebrities such as Blake Lively and Elizabeth Olsen have paved the way for one of the most sought-after hair colours of the season – a mix between blonde and brown. Bronde is a combination of ashy brown tones, blended with blonde highlights which are perfect for summer.
We countdown some of our favourite bronde hairstyles for you to show the hairdresser!
The model turned actress recently debuted her new bronde locks on the promotional tour for Paper Towns. The muted tones are perfect for her skin tone, and match the colour of her eyebrows.
The youngest Olsen sister is a fan of bronde since it’s so easy to maintain. Add a few tousled curls using a curling wand to look like you just came back from the beach!
International supermodel, Anna Selezneva shows us the perfect way to make bronde work for her olive skin tone. Pair with dewy, minimal makeup for those off-duty days.
Although Blake Lively was known for her fabulous blonde locks in Gossip Girl, the new mum made a low-maintenance change this year by going bronde.
Bombshell Jennifer Lopez is also on board with bronde since it’s so easy to maintain – even for dark-haired girls! She was spotted on the red carpet with voluminous curls over the summer.
Would you try the bronde trend? We’re already on board!
Images via Cosmopolitan, Sheer Luxe, Stardust and Sequins, Instagram, I Know Hair
Have you ever spotted a hairstyle online and found it too difficult to try yourself?
We’ve picked a few of our favourite complex hairstyles and have simplified them, making them really easy to recreate at home! You might need a few extra bobby pins and some hairspray to make them last the distance.
Estimated time: 10 minutes
- Start with day old hair which has retained some of its natural oils – this will make it so much easier to work with!
- Part your hair (down the centre or to the side), then start by creating a 4cm thick braid. Fasten it with a clear elastic.
- Take the rest of your hair, then create a few more messy braids with the ends. Secure with an elastic, then tug at each side to make them a little more ‘lived-in.’
- Position a mirror in front and behind you – it will make it so much easier to see what you’re doing. Then pin each section of hair into a bun. If your hair is a little on the thick side, use a clear elastic to help secure it into place. Cover the elastic with extra hair, and pin directly over it.
- Use a teasing comb to tug out any shorter layers, this will help to frame your face.
Estimated time: 5 minutes
- This is the perfect hairstyle if you’re working with slightly oily hair, or even if it’s been freshly washed. It only involves a simple fishtail braid that is easy to achieve if you know the technique.
- Divide hair into two equal sections, then pull a thinner strand of hair from the left side and cross it over to the right.
- Repeat this step again on the opposite side, then keep alternating until you have reached the end. The secret to nailing this look is to keep hair looking neat and tidy, so make sure to position a mirror behind your back.
- For a messier look, tug at each side of the braid.
Sophisticated side bun
Estimated time: 10 minutes
- Part your hair down the side with a comb, then gather your hair to the front.
- Create a side bun which covers the side of your ear, and pin back the strains of hair with an elastic or bobby pins.
- Take any shorter layers from the front of your hair and use a curling wand for some extra volume and bounce. Once it’s cooled down, curl it once with your finger and pin it back into the bun.
Image via BNKRCOM, Fashions Pictures, Edwards and Co Blog
Why limit yourself to just a few hairstyles when attending a formal event? There are so many different ways to style both curly and straight hair which won’t have you looking like everyone else at the party.
If you need hairstyle inspiration, then follow these celebrity styles for a flawless look appropriate at any formal event.
Embrace your natural curls by creating a subtle updo which is perfect for the warmer weather. Create texture in your hair by using a mousse on damp roots, then blow-dry with a diffuser to accentuate your curls.
Secure hair in a tight bun at the nape of the neck, then pin back strands to create a more defined look. Take your curling wand and loosely style any bangs at the front of your face.
Nothing beats some signature waves, and this look is perfect if your hair has been chemically treated or relaxed. Use rollers to create a defined curl (which will last all night long without a touch-up), then mist lightly with hair spray.
If you always part your hair in the middle, choose a side part which will create the illusion of texture on your roots.
A signature style by actress Blake Lively are bohemian inspired waves. Not only is this look perfect for a summer event, but it also accentuates hair which has highlights running through the ends.
Create these curls with a styling wand, then carefully spritz with finishing spray so they don’t completely drop on dead-straight hair. Take small strands of hair from the roots, then plait and pin down under the rest of your locks.
If you’re working with hair which doesn’t hold an artificial curl, then a messy updo is your saviour. Divide hair into two sections (your shorter layers, and the rest of your hair).
Carefully pin a short bun at the nape of your neck, and secure with a clear hair tie if your hair is thick in texture and needs extra support. Now for the front, create a plait which falls over to the side of your hair and pin back. Take a comb and carefully tease out any shorter hairs – this will make the look feel genuine.
Long hair, thick hair, or even working with extensions doesn’t have to be difficult with a messy side-braid. This look is super-easy to achieve, and only requires just a few simple steps. Choose which side you would like your braid to sit on, and braid away from the face.
Tease out the hair by pulling each side of the braid – this will make your look feel lived-in. Create drama at the roots by using a dry shampoo and teasing comb for some extra body and bounce.
Images via Hairstyles Galaxy, Blogspot, Aicclub, RM UK, Natural Hairstyles, More Fashionable
Award-winning hairstylist Lizzie Liros shows us how to achieve one of our favourite hair up styles, Blake Lively’s effortless goddess look which would be perfect for a boho wedding.
1. Apply a volumizing mousse on dry hair and blow-dry until completely dry.
2. Taking the hair in small sections curl all the hair with a medium curling iron.
3. Run your hands through the hair to separate the curls and to create soft movement throughout the hair.
4. Create a side part. Then leaving a small section of hair at the crown of the head for the fringing, start to do a loose braid on the opposite side to your part, taking the braid to the tips of the hair. Don’t be too worried about incorporating each strand of hair, a loose braid is perfect for this bo-ho glam look.
5. Once braided, wrap the hair into a loose loop at the nape of the neck and pin into place ad desired.
6. Smooth out the front section with your fingers away from your face and take a few strands to the bun and pin, leaving a couple of stands to fall freely around your face.
Tip: To add natural looking highlights to your hair to perfectly create this bo-ho style, Lizzie recommends Amazing Hair Australia Tape-In Hair Extensions, which start at $50.00 for highlights.
What do you think of Blake Lively’s braided updo?
For more information on Lizzie Liros visit www.lizzieliros.com.