If you’re thinking about giving your beauty bag a makeover, these product gems are a must.
Like your beauty au naturel? There’s no mistaking the dangers everyday chemicals pose to us in everything from our food to top-shelf beauty products. I’m loving these fabulous, new “green” luxury and anti-aging face, hair and body products which both promise and deliver much, without all the nasties. What’s more, we can all do with some extra TLC in autumn/winter! Shop to it, beauties.
RELATED: Beauty Etiquette 101: Make-up Application Dos and Don’ts
1. Mermaid Perfume Hair Shine Spray, $38: Ever wanted to make like Ariel, the iconic heroine from The Little Mermaid? Here’s your chance: Mermaid Perfume is said to be the new “it” global product. This beauty consists of heavenly orange blossom flowers and coconut oil. What’s more, it enhances hair shine, softness, elasticity, lustre and tames flyaways. Mysterious, romantic and ethereal, its stunning scent will transport you to sunnier climbs on a paradise island… Sigh. This is guilt-free beauty too, not tested on animals.
2. Waterlily Vitamin A Enriched Treatment Crème, $59, via: This is a super delicious smelling vitamin-intensive facial crème enriched with vibrant carrot and precious cold pressed oils. What’s more, there’s casings of anti-ageing vitamins for this ultimate repair treatment targeting the signs of ageing. This authentic Australian spa collection uses only the purest of natural botanical ingredients. Rich in aromatic essential oils, organic French clays, cold pressed plant oils, anti-ageing vitamins, healing herbs and lashings of exotic fruit, floral and marine extracts, this beauty brand is a feast for the senses.
3. Obagi ELASTIderm Eye Gel, $99.95: Try to turn back the clock with this cooling gel, which is perfect for normal to oily skin – especially if you live in a tropical or humid climate, as I do. Its all-natural ingredients, such as antioxidants and blueberry extract, are said to tighten and smooth the delicate eye area. Obagi products are designed to minimise the appearance of premature skin ageing, skin damage, hyperpigmentation, acne marks, and sun damage. Find them at dermatologist and plastic surgeon clinics, medical spas and via other skin care professionals.
4. Olivine Love + Salt Beach Hair and Body Mist, $25: Love + Salt is a vegan, volume-enhancing mist which will give you divine beach waves, in manner of a Californian sun goddess. Even better, you can spray it all over your body for beautifully hydrated skin thanks to “good” hydrating salts like Himalayan pink salt. And, happy days, Love + Salt is 100 per cent natural, vegan, cruelty-free and eco-friendly. It’s a love/love!
5. Grown Alchemist Regenerating Night Cream: Neuro-Peptide & Violet Leaf Extract, $84.95: This rich facial cream is formulated with a potent blend of peptides, antioxidants, vitamins and more. Its aim? To beautifully restore skin elasticity, noticeably reducing the appearance of fine lines, and soften and smooth the skin while boosting hydration. And ladies, this hard-working product does all this while you sleep. Yay! And this brand is the business: organic, anti-aging skincare, body and hair care.
6. 100% Pure Mint White Tea Moisturiser, $39.95, via: This super lightweight, non greasy, mattifying facial moisturiser is said to hydrate and nourish the skin without clogging pores. Even better, it’s packed full of skin-loving, nourishing, organic nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants to keep your skin healthy, hydrated, and looking youthful. Naturally, there’s no hidden nasties (pardon the pun), and it is instead loaded with goodness, and so is suitable for sensitive skin types, vegans and those avoiding gluten.
7. Waterlily Moroccan Rose & Guava Hand Treatment, $42, via: This luxurious hand and nail crème treatment is a rich buttery blend of cocoa and shea butters finished with precious oils of evening primrose, apricot and jojoba. Laced with an exotic blend of skin brightening fruit extracts and pro vitamin B5 and E to protect and repair nails and cuticles, I adore both its heavenly feel and smell. Treasured oils of Moroccan rose with healing benzoin complete the treatment, to promote gorgeous hands and stunning nails. Hands down, it’s a dead-set winner.
8. Tata Harper Elixir Vitae, $399, via: This supercharged, lightweight anti-aging face treatment promises to reduce wrinkles, which is lucky because, motherhood! It works by visibly smoothing the skin’s surface and filling the look of fine lines, topically delivering the visual effect of an injectable. What’s more, Tata Harper is a 100 per cent fresh, natural and cult-status beauty brand favoured by A-listers like Rachel Zoe. Sold!
9. Grown Alchemist Age-Repair Serum: Peptide-8 & e-2 Polysaccharide, $94.95: Smooth those expression lines faster than Usain Bolt, with this potent, fast-acting anti-aging serum. Peptides 8 & 6 combine to erase the look of forehead brow creases, squinting creases surrounding the eyes and feathery lines surrounding the lips. And all bases are covered with this organic, anti-aging skincare, body and hair care brand. Sign me up!
10. Obagi Professional-C Serum 10%, $69.95: Got dry, irritated, or sensitive skin? Help combat the signs of skin damage, via the healing power of Vitamin C, with this gentle yet concentrated formula. A skin antioxidant, Vitamin C is said to brighten skin, retain moisture, replenish Vitamin E and more. Your skin will love you for it!
Whether you’re new to makeup or simply in-need of a cosmetics refresh, then you’re definitely in the right place.
We share some of our cult-beauty products you need to create almost any makeup look, and more! They are a mix of high-end and drugstore products which are easy to find if you’re in-store, or just shopping online.
1. Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies Mascara, $19.95
Probably one of the best drugstore mascaras which helps to create the illusion of long, thick lashes with just one application. Use on both your top and bottom lashes to boost their volume without the need for falsies.
2. Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette, $50.60
A chic eyeshadow palette which boats four matte shades, two exclusives to create any makeup look. It makes the perfect gift for those who like to keep their eyeshadow looking nice and simple, but can also create a perfect smokey eye.
3. Nars Sheer Glow Foundation, $59
Not only is Nars famous for creating a number of different foundation shades, but this is also the best way to achieve glowy, radiant skin. Apply onto a freshly moisturised face, and buff into the skin with a cosmetic sponge, or flat-top kabuki brush for a ‘your skin but better’ look.
4. Maybelline Colour Tattoo Eyeshadow, $11.95
If you suffer from oily lids, then this is the perfect shadow which stays on for hours. Apply with your fingers, and dab on the eyelid to set the shade. Use a translucent finishing powder over the top to keep it in place all day.
5. Nars Bronzing Powder in Laguna, $49
There’s a reason why Laguna by Nars is one of their best selling products. The light-infused bronzer suits all skin tones, and brings a warm glow without leaving an orange tint to the skin. If your skintone is a little too dark for this shade, use Casino which is also well-loved.
6. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, $17.60
Undoubtedly one of the most popular primers ever, this is the perfect base to almost any eyeshadow look. Use a tiny amount over your eyelid, and pat down before using any other cosmetics. It will stay on for hours!
7. L’Oréal Paris Infallible 2-Step Longwear Lipstick, $29.95
A highly pigmented formula which is packed with hyaluronic gel to create soft, smooth lips and won’t cause any irritable dry patches. Apply the colour onto freshly exfoliated lips, then use the other side to lock-in moisture.
What are some of your holy grail makeup products?
Image via Swide
Make like stylish beauties Beyonce, J-Lo and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley by bagging yourself cult international beauty brands favoured by the stars at new luxe beauty etailer Lulu and Lipstick. Stocking thousands of on-trend beauty and skincare brands from around the world, Lulu and Lipstick is like the beauty world equivalent of a candy shop. Here are SHESAID’s top 10 Lulu and Lipstick must-haves ahead of Christmas – go on, spoil yourself – point and click on www.luluandlipstick.com.
1. Velour Lashes You Complete Me, $34.50: The most luxurious of all fake lashes, these authentic mink babies – as flaunted by Queen Bey herself – can be worn up to 25 times. And if they’re good enough for the Queen… Perfect for the upcoming party season, the handmade lashes offer a full and luscious frame to your eyes. Love!
2. Mermaid Perfume Body Oil, $79.95: US Vogue called Mermaid Perfume: “one of the world’s nine best beauty products flying under the radar”. And this divine oil is a definite must-have; laced with sweet orange blossom and coconut – it’s for every girl who’s ever dreamt of being a mermaid.
3. Ayurda Cucumber and Basil Cleansing Milk, $69.95: Incorporating the wisdom of the ayurvedic philosophy, Ayurda takes a holistic approach to beauty with all-natural products designed to create “nutrition for the skin”. The beauty brand prides itself on being one of the first to link skincare to well-being, with products that go beyond organic. This cleansing milk is a great natural healer for fragile skin.
4. Tata Harper Restorative Eye Crème, $103.50: Recently labelled with celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe’s famous tagline “Maj”, NYC’s Tata Harper specialises in luxurious anti-aging beauty products which are completely free of synthetic and chemical ingredients. The products are 100 per cent natural and non-toxic, nourishing the skin and the spirit. What’s more, US Vogue called Tata Harper products “life-changing”.
5. Anastasia Beverley Hills Dipbrow Pomade, in Soft Brown, $39: The go-to precision perfect eyebrow products for A-listers ranging from Kim Kardashian to Oprah, Anastasia Beverley Hills was founded by beauty innovator Anastasia Soare. The award-winning beauty products work to balance and proportion features, with an extensive range of cosmetics, stencils and tools with which to create perfect eyebrows at home.
6. Beetox Manuka Honey and Bee Venom Facemask, $110: UK skin sensation Beetox has been hailed as a natural alternative to Botox. This luxurious and unique beauty product promises to rejuvenate skin. It is said to provide deep penetration, improve micro-circulation in the renewal of damaged skin cells and stimulate the facial muscles, thus creating lifting, tightening and firming effects. Bees were not harmed in the sourcing of the ingredients. Yay!
7. Lulu and Lipstick Make-up Bag, $24.95: This cute and cheerful cosmetics bag capitalises on the pineapple fashion and interiors trend that so hot right now. A pop of colour for your handbag, Lulu’s signature make-up bag is surprisingly large – you’ll easily fit a vast array of cosmetics in there. Bag it, baby.
8. Pink Holiday Lipstick in Love In Portofino, $28.75: Renew your love affair with pink lipstick with this luscious lip smacker from the NYC beauty brand. Pink Holiday’s lip formula is colour-saturated; moisturing, but light on the lips; colour-true and anti-aging. What’s more, this beautiful, bright pink will give you soft, kissable lips. Pinkilicious!
9. DERMAdoctor KP Duty Body Scrub With Chemical and Physical Exfoliation, $52.90: US celebrity cult brand DERMAdoctor Specialist Skin Care provides the latest solutions to common skincare problems such as rosacea, keratosis pilaris and melasma. And with Brazilian model and designer Camila Alves crediting this product for her recent, flawless Oscars skin – it’s worth a whirl, to be sure!
10. Lime Crime Lipstick in Babette, $23: Make-up renegades from Los Angeles, Lime Crime strive to create the most kick-arse true-to-colour, cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics possible. This vampy pastel coral shade (pictured at top and below) is bold, opaque and colour-drenched. It’s perfect for hot, hot, hot summer parties and just the thing to complement on-trend maxis.
Want highly covetable, hard-to-get, cult international beauty brands without the headache? Your prayers have been answered beauties, with this week’s national launch of new luxe beauty e-tailer Lulu and Lipstick.
The brainchild of Fleur Madden (pictured) – CEO of award-winning national PR and brand experience agency, The Red Republic, and graphic design studio, Design by Republic – Lulu and Lipstick was created to combat beauty aficionados’ frustration at not being able to get cult brands shipped to Australia.
Lulu and Lipstick stocks thousands of cult beauty and skincare products from around the world such as: Anastasia Beverley Hills Brows (pictured); Pink Holiday Lipsticks from NYC; Tata Harper, 100 per cent natural and non-toxic skincare from NYC (pictured below) and Lime Crime, cruelty-free lipsticks from LA.
Velour Lashes – the original mink lashes which Beyonce and J-Lo famously wear – are also available on the site, along with Cherry Blooms, the leading fibre lash mascara.
But wait, there’s more: Lulu and Lipstick also sells celebrity cult skincare range Derma Doctor; UK skincare sensation Beetox – the natural alternative to Botox; Ayurda Skin Care – an organic, hand-crafted range with Ayurvedic principles; Mermaid Shampoo and Conditioner (because who doesn’t want beautiful mermaid hair) and Miss Jessie’s hair care from NYC – a leading US product for curly hair.
It’s a busy time for Fleur, 34, a business dynamo who is also currently a Queensland finalist in the soon-to-be-announced Telstra Young Business Woman of the Year Awards.
Fleur, who founded The Red Republic – formally known as Red PR – in 2003 at the tender age of 23, has always had a passion for beauty. “I spend a quarter of my life at the beauty and hair salon, my hairdresser is one if my closest friends and I believe when looking to open any business you have to have a passion for that industry,” she says.
“One of the consumer industries we specialise in at The Red Republic is health and beauty PR, so I’ve worked closely with other beauty businesses in helping build their brand and drive traffic and very much seen first-hand where the opportunities are to enhance the brand and customer experience.
“I think the biggest mistake companies make is not investing in their online as much as their bricks and mortar – we live in a digital world and your website is as big an asset as a physical shop. If anything it’s bigger as it makes you global! By all indications, online shopping continues to grow while traditional retailing figures are declining, so I’m confident there is growth potential in the industry.”
Now Fleur, who has lived and worked in the US, is delighted to give women access to stunning beauty products she once had trouble getting herself. “I fell in love with so many cult brands that I couldn’t live without, only to return home and find out most of these brands would not ship to Australia – this is when Lulu and Lipstick was born,” Fleur says.
“It’s important to me that Lulu and Lipstick is about a brand experience. You may never walk into my shop, but you will buy from us on your computers, your phone or your tablet, and I want all of our customers to feel part of our world through our beautiful packaging, our signature range of make-up bags and brushes (pictured below) and our already strong online community.
“I believe this is where a lot of online stores fall short.”
Lulu and Lipstick HQ’s philosophy is built on old-school glamour: for women to enhance what god gave them, with products from all corners of the globe. “We believe it is always better to be overdressed than under,” Fleur says. “We believe in bright lips, shouldering eyes and rosy cheeks, just not at the same time.
“We believe in thick, dark lashes, even if they aren’t your own. We believe in loving deeply and finding a love that ruins your lipstick, not your mascara.
“We believe in nude high heels and Spanx are the very best invention and we believe NYC and Paris are always a good idea. Lulu and Lipstick is all about offering something special and unexpected.”
The e-tailer, which also has a passion for natural products, will continually source and add other new brands to its line-up. Watch this space! Visit www.luluandlipstick.com.