Booze meets Ben & Jerry’s. What’s not to love?
Sooo tasty. Sooo little effort.
Get festive with this homemade Mexican chicken quesadilla recipe! Made from the freshest of ingredients and brought together with the flavours and subtle heat of the Cholula hot sauce, this dish is a tasty addition to any dinner party.
2 x chicken breasts (approx. 700g)
1 tbsp Cholula Original Hot Sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
Juice of ½ a lime
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp roughly chopped, fresh coriander
¼ tsp salt and pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
8 medium tortillas
1 avocado, roughly mashed
2 tomatoes finely sliced
½ cup sour cream
2 cups grated cheese
Charred Lime and Mango Salsa
2 ripe mangoes, skin removed and flesh cut into 1cm cube
¼ red onion, finely diced
1 medium red capsicum, finely diced
¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 limes, halved
- Finely slice the chicken breasts into ½ cm thick slices.
- Into a bowl add the Cholula Original Hot Sauce, tomato paste, lime juice, garlic, fresh coriander, salt and pepper and cumin. Gently mix the marinade together to combine and then add the sliced chicken. Coat the chicken completely in the marinade. Place the bowl into the fridge to marinate for about an hour.
- Meanwhile in a small salad bowl add the cubed mango flesh, red onion, capsicum, mint and olive oil. Gently mix together to combine. Place into the fridge until ready to serve.
- Place a fry pan over a medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil to heat in the pan. Place the lime halves into the pan and cook until charred and caramelised. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add half of the marinated chicken pieces. Cook for 3-4 minutes until brown and slightly crispy and turn to cook the other side for a further 2-3 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl and cook the remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat a toasted sandwich maker or press. On one of the tortillas spread a tablespoon of avocado and sour cream, a few pieces of tomato, chicken slices, and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Place another tortilla on top and carefully transfer to the sandwich maker and press the lid down. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is starting to melt out from the sides.
- Alternatively you can cook the quesadillas in a non-stick fry pan, flipping the tortilla to brown each side.
- Remove the quesadillas and place onto a cutting board. Cut into in half and then in quarters. Serve immediately with the Charred Lime halves and Mango Salsa.
Next time you’re throwing a dinner party, why not serve a few different appetisers instead of a main course? Not only are they quick and easy to prepare (seriously, each appetiser takes about 10 minutes), but they taste amazing and are so versatile!
Here is a few of our go-to appetisers which are appropriate for any type of occasion:
Spring garden salad
Try a classic spring salad featuring seasonal crunchy vegetables with a delicious dressing – perfect for the entire family. If you want to add a little extra texture to this salad, feel free to add some some asparagus and peas into the mix.
Who can resist a classic crostini? They’re bite-sized, easy to eat standing up and taste amazing! Experiment with some of your favourite toppings such as salmon, chicken, turkey and even vegetarian options.
Prawn stir fry
Prepare a delicious prawn stir fry for your guests for lunch or even a late dinner. Make sure you don’t forget to add the soy sauce before serving, and add something sweet such as grapefruit or orange essence for a sweet taste.
Tomato, feta and green beans
A classic green bean salad is a standard dish for most households, especially during the warmer months of the year. To make sure your salad has a little extra crunch, add the green beans at the end and cook for only 3-5 minutes.
Zucchini are so quick and easy to prepare, especially if time is not on your side! Drizzle the ciabatta bread with some olive oil and grill until golden brown.
Combine the best of eggs, red onion, parsley, chives and basil into a fine paste, then grill into small patties. Cook until golden brown, then serve with fresh vegetables at room temperature.
Red cabbage salad
There are few things which are healthier than a red cabbage salad, but we’re keeping things tasty here! For a light, tangy flavour, squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the top and add some of your favourite summer fruits into the recipe. We recommend sliced strawberries or red apples.
Cucumber and avocado rolls
To really impress your guests, create this easy cucumber roll recipe featuring delicious avocado. Simply slice the cucumber, then add one tablespoon of mashed avocado into the centre.
Prosciutto wrapped asparagus
For a quick appetiser to enjoy on-the-go, nothing beats this amazing prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Grill for just a few minutes, then drizzle some olive oil and lemon over the top.
Fig and cheese flatbread
Finally, we’re finishing up with this delicious flatbread. Buy it made, warm it over a hot pan, and add some sliced gorgonzola cheese, fig and drizzled honey over the top.
Images via Sunset, Style and Cheek, Taste, J Bean Cuisine, BBC Good Food, Good To Know, The Perfect Pantry, Pure Ella, Eight Wild Boars
If you’re looking for an excuse to throw a dinner party, this Creme Fraiche Panna Cotta recipe is the perfect summer dessert to enjoy with friends. Topped with orange compote and candied pistachio, it’s relatively light so it won’t weigh you down if you’re pairing it with a glass of bubbles.
400ml thickened cream
200g castor sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
400ml creme fraiche
80ml freshly squeezed orange juice
5 sheets gelatin (10 gram total),
softened in cold water
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp castor sugar
2 drops orange blossom water
¼ cup shelled pistachio
2 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp water
- For the panna cotta, bring the cream, sugar and vanilla bean to the boil. Remove from heat and slightly cool. Add orange juice.
- Squeeze moisture from gelatin and add to cream mix.
- Stir in creme fraiche to combine then pour into 4 jars and chill for 2 hours or until set (overnight is best).
- For the orange compote, use a microplane to remove the zest from the oranges. Peel using a small knife and cut the flesh into small dice, removing any seeds.
- Place into a small saucepan with honey, zest, sugar and orange blossom. Simmer until slightly thickened then cool.
- For the candied pistachio, preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, add pistachio and salt.
- Spread onto an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast for 8 mins, or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Top the set panna cotta with compote, sprinkle with pistachio and enjoy!
Margarita recipes are in abundance, and we all know that tequila and lemon or lime is a match made in heaven, but for such a popular spirit the versatility of tequila is vastly unknown.
Tequila is not just a means for kicking off a party; it can be the whole focus of one, enjoyed as an accompaniment to a delicious meal or incorporated into recipes for those who just can’t get enough. Tequila Blu shares an inspired dinner party menu… the theme? Tequila, of course! Get the party started and wow guests with this delicious three-course menu that incorporates tequila for some added zing!
Entrée – Drunken prawns
2 ½ cups olive oil
¾ cup Tequila Blu
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
½ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup white vinegar
1 tbsp garlic salt (or plain rock salt)
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tsp seasoned salt
30 prawns, peeled and de-veined
- Combine all ingredients (except the prawns) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place prawns in a bowl and cover with the mixture, stir through evenly and allow to marinate for at least two hours
- Over a medium heat, cook the prawns in a frypan until cooked through (10-15 mins approx.)
- Serve and delight guests!
Main – Tequila lime chicken with margarita guacamole
1 cup Tequila Blu
¼ cup olive oil
2 tsp salt
5 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeño, sliced
½ bunch chopped coriander
12 chicken breasts
- Squeeze the juice of 4 limes into a food processor and add tequila, salt, olive oil, jalapeños, parsley and garlic. Blend until combined.
- In a large tray place chicken breasts and tequila-lime mixture, cover and place in fridge overnight to marinate.
- Once marinated, grill chicken over medium to high heat until cooked through. Slice and serve.
For the guacamole…
2 large avocados
Juice and zest of 1 lime
½ tsp. orange zest
3 tbsp. chopped coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop out inside of avocados and mash, stir in the rest of the ingredients and serve alongside the chicken.
- You can also serve this dip as an entrée with corn chips!
Dessert – Tequila lime tart
1 ½ cups crushed plain sweet biscuits
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
¼ cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons of sugar
- To make the crust for the tart combine biscuits, butter, pine nuts and sugar in a food processor and blend until it begins to clump together.
- Press the mixture into the base and sides of a 9-inch spring form tart pan.
For the filling…
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Yolks of 4 large eggs
½ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup Tequila Blu
2 egg whites
1 tbsp sugar
Whipped cream and fresh lime slices to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Mix condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice and tequila in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar in a bowl to form soft peaks then gently fold in 1 and a half cups of the condensed milk mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in the rest of the mixture until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tart pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the mixture has fluffed up and a tester inserted into the tart comes out clean.
- Cool completely, then chill until cold.
- Garnish with whipped cream and fresh lime.
- Enjoy the fiesta!
Some of the best adventures come out of the blu. Discover more at facebook.com/tequilabluaustralia