‘Tis the season to eat pumpkin! This fall favorite has a place in every meal, am I right? The healthy pumpkin dip is both great as an afternoon snack for you and your kids, or with nibbles at your Halloween party. The best part? It is so easy to make! All you need are a few ingredients, ten minutes and a blender!
1 small fresh pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes (you will need just over half a pound)
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the pumpkin in a pot and cover with cold water. Place on stove on high heat until the water boils, then lower the heat to simmer. Cook the pumpkin for approx. 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of oil and the cumin seeds to a small frypan and cook on low heat. Once the cumin seeds start to sizzle, take off heat and add chilli flakes. This allows both the flavours of the cumin and the chilli to infuse into the oil.
- Put the cooked pumpkin and half of the cumin and chilli mixture into a food processor (or bowl, if you have a stick mixer). Blend till smooth. You can add the olive oil, 1 spoon at a time, as necessary to help blend. The mixture shouldn’t be too runny, but smooth and dense.
- Finally, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a small bowl or dish, garnished with the remainder of the cumin and chilli mixture.
- Serve pita bread, or a crusty baguette.