Although there is no scientific evidence to suggest that certain foods or sex positions can improve your chances of conceiving a certain gender baby, some couples swear by their methods and insist that they can work. Other people believe that it’s all down to luck rather than management, but it can’t hurt to try, right?
So if you’re secretly hoping to conceive a boy or a girl, consider these tips for increasing your chances:
If you want to conceive a girl:
- Timing is key. Buy an ovulation kit which can predict on what days of your cycle you are likely to ovulate, then have sex 2-4 days before you ovulate. Girl sperm are slower moving and can last up to four days in the vagina, so by having sex days before you ovulate, theoretically, the girl sperms should be ready and waiting for the egg.
- Have sex every day from the day your period ends to ensure you’re depositing plenty of the longer lasting sperm which will be ready to fertilise the egg when it is released from the ovaries.
- Don’t have sex that involves deep penetration. Positions such as the missionary position are best so that the sperm are not deposited too close to the cervix.
- When a woman orgasms it provides a more alkaline vaginal ph which is more favourable for boy sperm, so if you can manage it, avoid having an orgasm during sex.
- Avoid sex or consider using a condom on the woman’s most fertile days, obviously lessening the opportunity of conception to occur, but if you’ve had sex 2-4 days prior (as point 1 above suggests) you may only have the girl sperm remaining in your vagina.
- Eat foods that support a more acidic vaginal ph where girl sperm are more likely to survive. Blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, whole grains including cereal, rice and breads, green leafy vegetables, dairy foods and sweets are among the foods that you should be tucking into.
If you want to conceive a boy:
- Using your ovulation kit, predict the day of ovulation then have sex no earlier than 24 hours before you are going to ovulate. Boy sperm are fast but can’t survive for long periods of time so by depositing them just as the egg is being released you may increase the chance your odds of having a boy.
- Ideally, have sex twelve hours before ovulation and not after twelve hours since ovulation.
- Deep penetration sex is best if you want a boy. This means you’re depositing the sperm close to the cervix and in prime position to snag the egg.
- The woman should try to orgasm during sex as this causes the vaginal ph to be more alkaline, supporting the boy sperm.
- Try getting the male to have a coffee or energy drink before sex.
- Eat more foods that support a alkaline vaginal ph where boy sperm are more likely to survive. Bananas, broccoli, spinach, kale, potatoes, almonds, sprouts, chia, brown rice, tofu and avocadoes are all good foods to try and eat more of.
Do you have any theories of your own? Or have any of the above methods worked for you? Tell us!
Image via gender-baby.com