‘Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me.’
Prepare to be drop dead gorgeous.
A little over a year ago if someone had mentioned the name Amal Alamuddin to you, we doubt you would have noticed. Fast-forward to the present day and who would have thought that she is now one of the most talked about women in the world?
Since being linked with the world’s most desirable bachelor, 53 year-old George Clooney, Amal has been thrust into the spotlight. Realising her stunning sense of style was as impressive as her husband’s, the couple made international headlines during their Venice nuptials. Ever since, Amal’s following has grown exponentially – but not just because she is the woman who tamed Hollywood’s most eligible playboy.
Fortunate to be born with both brains and beauty, George has definitely met his match. A published author, international lawyer and activist, Amal specialises in human rights, criminal law and extradition having worked on countless cases including with the infamous founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange. And if that wasn’t good enough she is also fluent in three languages Arabic, English and French.
Making her first public appearance as Mrs Clooney at this year’s Golden Globes, the lawyer used her public status as the perfect platform to raise awareness about the recent Charlie Hebdo killings and highlight the injustice via wearing a Je Suis Charlie pin. It was a big night for the newlyweds, with George receiving a Lifetime Achievement award. Hosts for the event, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, hit the nail on the head when introducing the honourable award; “Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, was an advisor to Kofi Annan regarding Syria and was selected for a three-person U.N. commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza Strip. So tonight her husband is getting a Lifetime Achievement award.”
Recently, The Guardian announced the couple’s entrance at an award show saying: “Human rights lawyer Amal Clooney and her husband have arrived.” So is the shoe finally on the other foot, with more buzz surrounding Amal than her renowned husband? No longer are the cameras in the courtroom focused on the victims or perpetrators but instead on the face of the lawyer.
For years the red carpet has been a place for designers to showcase their work, not celebrities to raise social injustices. Yet celebrities exploiting the cameras and media attention they receive accomplish more than any amount of money thrown at the problem could. Notable women include Patricia Arquette at this year’s Oscars on wage equality, Emma Watson launching the UN HeForShe Campaign and Angelina Jolie’s work for UN Refugee Agency whose public position allows greater exposure and endless publicity. It is refreshing to see these people who, like Amal, are both willing and proud to showcase these matters.
So there is no doubt that Amal is intelligent, powerful and an absolute beauty. She has not abandoned her career to become her husband’s red carpet handbag and trophy wife. Instead, she is working harder than ever. That fact that she is married to one of the most prominent, iconic (and dare we say it) wealthiest people in the entertainment industry is just another impressive feature that keeps us in awe.
And that, Mrs Clooney, is why we love you.
Images via Reddit and ETonline
Known for her sun-kissed locks and deep-tan skin, model Chrissy Teigen’s look was an instant hit for us here at ‘SHESAID’ at the annual Golden Globes.
We loved her effortless ponytail so much that we created an easy tutorial to replicate this look at home. All you need is a few key products to create that instant body and bounce for an award-winning hairstyle.
1. Begin with day-old hair which will better hold texture and curls. Freshly washed locks are usually not advised because the squeaky clean follicles have the tendency to cause frizz, which is difficult to maintain at the best of times!
2. Use a root-lifting spray on the base of the hair to create the illusion of instant volume. This will make it so much easier for hair to stay in place for long periods of time.
Living Proof Full Root Lifting Spray, $26
3. Tie hair into a low ponytail on the base of the neck. If your hair is longer, you can also try this style as a super-high ponytail. It will highlight the back of your neck, and stay in place all day long.
4. Using a curling wand, take thin pieces of hair and curl away from the face. Remember, if you want to create the illusion of thicker hair, use thin pieces are mist them lightly with setting spray.
ghd Soft Curve Tong, $200
5. Once you’re done, release any front layers or bangs for a beachy, bohemian look. Turn your curling wand to the lowest setting, and curl away from the face. If the curls look too defined, simply pin them back and wait for them to settle.
Image via Fashion Times
It’s awards season once again – and how quickly does it roll around? The Golden Globe awards are well under way and the stand-out colour of the event was overwhemingly… WHITE! Despite the cool temperatures and the very real fear every woman faces when wearing the tone (and then possibly her red wine), the A-listers seemed to agree that it was their number 1 choice.
As always, some wore it well and others, well, not so good. Here are our favourites:
Guiliana Rancic and Rosamund Pike
Kate Hudson and Reese Witherspoon
Who do you think was the best dressed at this year’s Golden Globes?
Images via The Daily Mail
Whether it’s cascading down her back, brushing against her shoulders, or a short pixie crop, there is no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence can pull off almost any hairstyle. This look at the 2013 Golden Globes was just before J-Law took the plunge and chopped her long locks, but we can still reminiscence about this, right?
Try this easy hairstyle on your own hair, especially if it’s long with a touch of body and bounce at the ends.
1. This look is all about texture – if you don’t have natural curls, you can always fake them with a curling wand! To create those tiny baby curls, use a wand that is less than 30 inches wide, it will give you the most natural curls for this particular look. Curl tightly and away from the face – this means that your curls are less likely to look artificial.
2. After you’ve curled all of your hair (this could take a bit of time, especially if you have super-thick hair!), carefully brush the curls with your fingers. This is nothing too drastic, and won’t change the shape of your curls, or cause them to straighten out. If you have naturally curly hair, then this step isn’t required. Simply apply a touch of texturising mousse onto your roots for that va-va-voom!
3. Divide the hair into two sections (top and bottom), then work with the bottom layer. Give your hair a loose fishtail braid, and secure with a hair tie that is similar to the colour of your hair. After you’re done, pull the braid apart to add texture.
4. Pin the braid onto the roots (behind your left ear), and tuck in the end with a bobby pin. Use as many pins as you need until your hair feels secure. Then simply follow this same step with the rest of your hair.
5. If you have shorter layers at the front such as a fringe, curl this away from your face, and secure with a bobby pin for a refined look.
6. Use a little hairspray (KMS California HAIRPLAY makeover spray, $28.95) to keep it all together, but don’t go overboard since it can ruin the soft texture of your bohemian undo!
Image via Becuo
Everyone knows that award shows aren’t just about the winners. Self-respecting, hard-working fashion victims around the globe sit glued to awards shows for hours, critiquing the outfits, the accessories, the boyfriends, the make up and the speeches. Come on, fess up. You do it, we all do it. Now, let’s compare notes…
Former royalty A-lister, Sarah Ferguson quite frankly should have stayed home! Her Cleopatra eye makeup was more Mardi Gras than Golden Globe… Someone who has all the right moves, however, is South African farm girl turned superstar Charlize Theron who made a fabulous entrance in Christian Dior. Gorgeous, charming and a winner through and through, taking home the best Actress award.
Blondes have more fun? Not so for Sarah Jessica Parker and that haute coute dress made especially for her by Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel looked stunning! Also looking like a million bucks was Jennifer Aniston, minus her most famous handbag, hubby Brad Pitt. Mrs Pitt also presented an award on the night, and it looked like she came dangerously close to popping out of her sexy dress with its super plunging neckline!
One of the spunkiest men on earth, Johnny Depp looked positively sexy in his old-style gangster get up, accompanied by his stunning wifey Vanessa Paradis. Sex in the City veteran Kim Cattrell looked just peachy with an up hair do, and a silky frock, that was ten times as classy as her alter ego Samantha has even been. Vintage Valentino will do that to a girl, darling.
Will and Grace star Debra Messing was positively glowing in a fab frock with loads of cleavage! Not a hint of frumpy maternity wear here! And that other fabulous-when-pregnant star Catherine Zeta Jones, self-appointed princess of Hollywood, rubbed everyone’s noses in it – talk about smug married! Queer Eye fav Carson got into the spring of things, sporting a pink jacket – how appropriate. Notably absent from the red carpet was another fiery raven-haired beauty, Penelope Cruz.
Current beau Tom Cruise was nominated for best actor, the award being presented by ex-wife Nicole Kidman. Now, that could have been one awkward moment. But luckily, for our Nic, neither Tom, nor good friends Russell Crowe and Jude Law took the title. Nic was a fashion star on the night with a stunning frock featuring a gold sequin bodice, plunging neckline and romantic flowing, chiffon skirt, courtesy of Yves Saint Laurent. Critics the world over have been commenting on our Nic’s style on this night of nights. To us, she can never put a foot wrong.
Jessica Chastain looked radiant and glamourous at the Golden Globes 2014, with flawless skin, sexy eyes and rosy lips. Here’s how celebrity makeup artist Kristofer Buckle created the look, with some fabulous makeup tips for recreating the look at home.
Kristofer enhanced Jessica’s porcelain complexion using Le Teint Touche Éclat in B10, and the cult favourite touch éclat #1 pen to cover any little imperfections and to lighten up dark lines around the eyes. We’ve been using touch éclat for years – it really is that good!
Kristofer then applied Blush radiance #4 on her cheeks for a natural, rosy glow.
Jessica has beautiful green eyes, which Kristofer enhanced using eye shadows from the the Ombres 5 Lumières #3 Tawny palette to instantly lighten and widen her expression.
On Jessica’s lashes, Kristofer applied three coats of the Singulier Waterproof black Mascara. He applied it only on the top lashes to give her eyes a sultry doe-eyed look.
Kristofer used Rouge Pur Couture in Fuschia (#19) to achieve Jessica’s perfect pout. This is one of our favourite lipsticks – a vibrant fuchsia that is completely wearable whether you have pale, tan or dark skin.
What did you think of Jessica Chastain’s Golden Globes makeup?
Kate Beckinsale’s messy hair up style was one of our favourite celebrity hairstyles at the Golden Globes. The naturally loose bun is great for anyone with wavy or curly hair. If you’re a summer bride (or part of the bridal party), we think this would make a romantic wedding or formal hairstyle.
Here’s how celebrity hairstylist Sascha Breuer created the look in just a few easy steps.
1. Start by using Moroccanoil Volumizing Mouse directly on to the roots of damp hair. The mouse will help add body and hold and it’s a great way to set the style in. It’ll also make hair more pliable and easier to work with.
2. Begin blow drying the hair using a skeleton brush, and then use your fingers to create texture and additional volume. Once the hair is fully dry, separate into a horseshoe shaped section (the part between both temples & your crown area) and clip the top section away.
3. Pull the bottom section into a low, side ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with an elastic. Then coil & wrap the tail into a messy bun. You can even tug a few strands out to create naturally falling bits and to loosen the bun. Secure hair with bobby pins.
4. Take the hair from the top section and backcomb the roots using Moroccanoil Ionic Ceramic Round Brush to maximize the volume at the crown and create a slightly disheveled texture.
5. Secure the top section into the existing, loose bun with bobby pins.
6. Mist the hair with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Medium to add shine and long-lasting flexible hold. Spray a little product onto finger tips and work it into the single strands to help define the pieces. Secure the final look with a few more pins.
What did you think of Kate Beckinsale’s Golden Globes hair?
Does Reese Witherspoon ever have a celebrity style misstep? Luckily we’ve got the exact beauty products and makeup tips used to create Reese’s glowing Golden Globes makeup, direct from her celebrity makeup artist Mai Quynh.
Mai started by hydrating the skin with La Praire Skin Caviar Luxe Cream, then creating a flawless base with Laura Mercier Foundation Primer.
She then applied the soon-to-be-released Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Foundation with a sponge, concealing any blemishes and under eye circles with Laura Mercier Secret Concealer and Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage.
To get Reese’s natural glow, Mai layered two blushes on the apples of the cheeks: one cream, one powder. This creates a gorgeous glow-from-within and your blush lasts much longer. She started with Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour in Praline and then topped it with Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Colour in Peach Whisper.
When you’re doing makeup for weddings or events and using a lot of beauty products, you want to finish with a setting powder and a light dusting of bronzer to make it look natural and not too makeup-y. Mai set the look using Laura Mercier Pressed Setting Powder in Translucent, and swept Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Powder Bronze over the forehead, cheeks and chin (this bronzer smells divine!).
Mai created a soft smokey eye by mixing Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colours in Sand Glow and Cocoa and applying the colour from the inside of the eyelid, blending it towards the outer lid.
Next, she applied Laura Mercier Illuminating Eye Colour in Fire Glow on the entire lid and blended. On the outer crease, she used Laura Mercier Illuminating Eye Colour in Earth Glow.
After that she lined Reese’s eyes with Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil in Brown Copper – this colour really makes the eyes pop.
Finally, she coated the lashes in Laura Mercier Long Lash Mascara in Black.
We love Reese’s your-lips-but-better lip colour. Mai used Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Weightless Lip Colour in Play, topping it with Laura Mercier Lip Glacé in Bellini. This is a great all-day lip gloss that suits most skin tones.
What do you think of Reese Witherspoon’s Golden Globes makeup?
Mila Kunis paired her sparkly Gucci pewter dress with a sleek and elegant chignon at the Golden Globes 2014, an easy hair up style when your dress is the main attraction. Here’s how celebrity hairstylist Renato Campora created the look in a few easy steps.
1. Renato worked L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Extraordinary Oil for All Hair Types through damp hair from the roots to the ends.
2. Using a large boar bristle round brush, he blow dried the hair away from her face, smoothing the ends.
3. Working section by section, he then applied L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heatspray before flat ironing Mila’s hair, blow drying back to control the top and sides.
4. Lightly spraying L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray (one of our favourite all-purpose hairsprays), he secured the hair in a low ponytail at the nape of the neck.
5. Renato then applied lace around the ponytail and back of the head and secured with pins.
6. Finally, he twisted hair into a smooth bun, securing with French pins.
Are you a fan of Mila Kunis’ Golden Globes hair up style?
Definitely one of our favourite Golden Globes makeup looks – Sofia Vergara was bombshell from head to high-heeled toe. If you have a tan or olive skin, you’ll want to save celebrity makeup artist Kayleen McAdams’ makeup tips to recreate this look at home – it’s the perfect makeup for summer parties and weddings!
Sofia has amazing skin, so Kayleen simply enhanced her glowing complexion with COVERGIRL truBLEND Foundation in M6.
When the focus is on the lips, you want a natural warmth on the cheeks, which Kayleen achieved using one of our favourite blushes, COVERGIRL Clean Glow Blush in Roses.
Sofia’s sexy cat eye is actually brown, not black, to look more natural against her golden skin. Kayleen used Bombshell Liner in Chocolate Kiss, then Bombshell Shine Shadow in Gold Goddess to give add sparkle to the eyes.
Complete the look with big lashes using Bombshell Volume Mascara.
We’re obsessed with Sofia’s tropical coral-red lip colour. Sofia chose LipPerfection Lip Color in Flame.
What did you think of Sofia Vergara’s Golden Globes makeup?
Emma Watson blew us away at the Golden Globes, not only because of that incredible tangerine Christian Dior backless dress (and pants!), but because her hair and makeup were perfection. We think her chic bun, with deep side part and soft wispy pieces, will be one of the best hair up styles we’ll see all year.
Here’s how celebrity hairstylist Shelley Brien created this classic updo.
1. First spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to damp hair. Take a medium-sized boar bristle round brush and blow dry hair so that it’s straight and smooth.
2. Once hair is dry, create a side part and then spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series ColorFinity Dry Shampoo in Rich Darks to the roots to create extra volume.
3. Backcomb the hair near the front of your face to create texture and then brush all the hair back until it’s smooth. Maintaining the side part, pull hair back into a low ponytail and then wrap hair loosely into a chignon. Wrap hair similar to a bun and then pin in place.
4. Pull a few pieces of hair in the front and tuck behind the ear to create a more modern, tousled look.
5. To finish, spray hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to leave it with a sleek, finished look.
What did you think of Emma Watson’s Golden Globes hair? Tell us in the comments!
Jennifer Lawrence rocked a seductive berry lip and glowing skin at the Golden Globes 2014. Here’s how celebrity makeup artist Ve Neill created the look, with some easy makeup tips for recreating the look at home.
Ve used one of our favourite foundations to create Jennifer’s flawless complexion, Dior Airflash Matte Touch Long-Lasting Airy Powder and Diorskin Nude BB Crème in Fair (#002). The Airflash is a light foundation mist that takes a little getting used to, but it creates an incredible airbrushed finish.
For Jennifer’s glow-from-within blush, Ve used Diorblush Glowing Color Powder Blush in My Rose (#943), a really pretty pink hue.
To play off those dark lips, a subtle smokey eye is all you need – any darker, and the look becomes too harsh. Ve used Dior 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow in Gris-Gris (#034), a beautiful palate of greys, and lined the eyes using Dior Crayon Kohl in Black (#099).
Finally, lashing of Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara in Over Black #090.
This look is all about the lips, and Jennifer wore Rouge Dior Lipstick in Prune Daisy (#976).
What did you think of Jennifer Lawrence’s Golden Globes makeup?
So many amazing red carpet dresses at the Golden Globes 2014…and yet, so many shockers, and surprisingly, from some of our favourite celebrities. Let’s take a look at some of the fashion disasters…
What just happened? Who styled this? You’ve got the start of a business-casual, boyfriend shirt-inspired outfit by Dolce & Gabbana. Then, her stylist added a feminine sparkly diamante belt, which does nothing to accentuate her waist. Finally, a 60’s beehive to complete the discombobulated look.
Zoe Saldana is one of the hottest actresses right now, so I guess she was going for edgy when she chose to wear this Prabal Gurung 80’s prom dress. She’s not the only one who had a Prabal Gurung disaster tonight…
Sandra Bullock has been scoring a lot of fashion wins lately, so it’s sad she chose this Prabal Gurung satin mullet dress. The colour combination doesn’t work, and the low cut doesn’t flatter either. And those pointy boobs remind us of Anne Hathaway’s 2014 pink Oscars dress. Not good.
Mila Kunis has worn some of the prettiest red carpet dresses, yet even she doesn’t love this Liberace-inspired look.
Uma Thurman seems to have lost her red carpet mojo. The black top and skirt don’t match, instead creating a jarring contrast. She looks severe and unsexy, which is unheard of for Uma.
We wanted to love anything that Jennifer Lawrence chose to wear to the Golden Globes. And from the thighs up, we get it. It’s Dior, it’s high fashion, but that white tulle skirt just looks cheap, like the Spotlight end of year offcuts. Also not a fan of the mismatched jewellery.
We can’t wait for season 2 of House of Cards, but Kate Mara’s Golden Globes J Mendel gown is hurting our eyes tonight. The bleached locks, the in-your-face boobs, the weird drape…so many better choices for this pretty young thing.
Mad Men’s Elisabeth Moss sadly looks like she just woke up an hour before the Golden Globes. Her hair looks messy and her handkerchief tail J Mendel dress doesn’t flatter.
Hayden Panettiere debuted a new short haircut, sleeking it back – but it just looks like covering up a bad hair day. And we don’t like the dress either – remember when above-knee slits were big in the early 90’s? Yep, this looks feels just as outdated.
We’ve seen Emma Thompson rock the pre-Golden Globes parties in style, but sadly, she showed up wearing a rock-hard gold bodice that looks like it belongs on the set of 300, finished in a boring black skirt.
Who’s your Golden Globes worst dressed celebrity?
It’s the first big awards show of the year, but all we really care about is the fashion. Luckily, this year’s Golden Globes red carpet dresses are packed with style and inspiration.
Just love this palm-print Fausto Puglisi dress on The Office’s Rashida Jones. The top knot is a great choice for this fun look.
Kate Beckinsale is statuesque in this pewter Zuhair Murad gown.
Taylor Swift is cute as a button in this red-black Carolina Herrera satin gown that evokes old Hollywood style.
Sofia Vergara does what she does best – showing off her jewels. And why not? The girl has cleavage, and an abundance of sex appeal, so if you got it, flaunt i!
Love it, love it! Reese Witherspoon glows in this minimalist aqua Calvin Klein Collection dress.
Emma Watson is adorable in tangerine Dior – with contrasting blue suede shoes. Not many people can get away with matching their lipstick to their dress, but Emma can!
And here’s the back that we didn’t expect – yep, still love it!
Girls’ star Allison Williams is setting herself up a fashionista, after a string of red carpet appearances this week, and rightly so: we love her choice of black and white dress that reminds us of something Audrey Hepburn might have worn.
Naomi Watts is the golden girl at the Golden Globe, pairing a Champagne-hued gown with straight goldilocks tresses.
…Is Naomi’s stylist cheating on her? Newly-engaged Robin Wright also wore a golden gown with similar neckline, this time by Reem Acra.
Amy Adams rocks this 70’s-inspired Valentino maxi dress, the perfect nod to her American Hustle nomination.
Remember, less is often more. Here’s a perfect example: funny girl Amy Poehler is chic in this classic Stella McCartney LBD – long black dress – with simple cutout.
Modern Family’s Sarah Hyland is so pretty in a coral pink Georges Hobeika dress and braided hair. She might only be 23, but she looks classy and stylish, and not overdressed for her age.
Can we give Lena Durham an award for most improved celebrity style? We might love her in Girls, but her red carpet dresses have been pretty shocking. This vibrant yellow Zac Posen gown is drop-dead gorgeous on Lena, even though the top half has us thinking of picking up some potatoes on the way home.
Who is your Golden Globes best dressed? Tell us in the comments!
The fashion highs and lows continued at the Golden Globes after-parties – with one Aussie celeb rebounding from her awards’ disaster, while other celebs continued to plummet in the style stakes.
Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom
Love MIranda’s shimmery calf-length Dolce & Gabbana dress.
We weren’t a fan of her Golden Globes bridezilla gown, yet Elle simply glowed at the after-party in a glittering gold fishtail dress.
One of our best dressed favourites keeps it up in this simple yet sparkly strapless dress.
A whimsical, Heidi-esque dress is ruined by Rachel’s angry zombie stare. Even Victoria Beckham is smiling these days.
Even Ricky Gervais’ opening gag poking fun at her and her 72-day marriage couldn’t stop Kim showing up to the after-party, over-dressed in serious black.
Oh, brother. Erin Wasson’s stick-thin frame puts us off our dinner in this barely there dress (if you can call it a dress?)
Lindsay’s pale skin clashes in this nude apricot dress gown thing.
Who is your best and worst dressed from the Golden Globes after-party?