Keep your hair frizz-free this summer in one of the easiest hairstyles to master, the top knot. Actress Nina Dobrev was recently spotted rocking a top knot on the red carpet, and we were so inspired to try a tutorial of our own!
The is the ultimate summer hairstyle which is so flattering on all hair types, and takes just 5 minutes to complete.
1. To keep your hair from falling out of the bun, using a volumising mousse while it’s still damp. It will also make the rest of the bun look quick and full!
Apply to damp hair (avoiding the scalp), and leave to dry naturally or use a hair drier on a cool setting so it doesn’t harm the hair follicle.
Charles Worthington Volume & Bounce Body Booster Mousse, $15.99
2. Pull your hair into a high ponytail, then secure tightly with a hair elastic. You might need to use 2 if your hair is super-thick and textured.
Scunci No Damage Hair Elastic (18 Pack), $8.99
3. Take small sections from the ponytail, and use a flat iron to give them some extra shape. This is ideal for creating extra volume for thin hair!
VS Sassoon Str8 Up Straightener, $44.89
4. Once you’re done with the flat iron, comb out your curls then twist your hair around in a bun. To create the illusion of extra hair, take small sections and pin them under the elastic.
Lady Jane Comb, $6.89
5. Keep everything together using a medium-strength hair spray. Tease out any additional parts of your bun to make your hair look thick and healthy!
Hair Nutrition Dry Shampoo, $6.00
Images via Starity
There’s no denying that Alexa Chung has one of the most enviable hairstyles in Hollywood. Where do we begin?
Just the right amount of sun-kissed strands coupled with a few tousled waves – it’s difficult to believe this hairstyle could be so easy! We show you just a few products which could help create Alexa’s signature hairstyle.
1. Work with day-old hair which still has a bit of natural oils at the roots. If you’ve just washed yours, not to worry!
Run a few drops of dry oil into the ends to emulate this look. It will also make your hair look super-shiny and healthy.
Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil, $39.99
2. Lightly mist the hair with heat protectant spray, making sure to avoid spritzing the roots. It could make your hair feel crunchy and oily.
Redken Styling Iron Shape, $30.95
3. Use a curling wand to carefully wrap small sections of hair. If you want this look to feel a little more tousled, take larger sections of hair and leave them around the curling wand for longer.
BaByliss Pro Siren Titanium Ceramic 34mm Waving Wand, $120.40
4. When this is done, comb out your hair to loosen the curls. Before heading out the door, carefully mist your ends with a bit of sea-salt spray. It’ll give the hair a touch of body and bounce without weighing it down like hairspray.
Nak Style Surfer, $24.95
Images via Zimbio
Give your hair a style re-fresh this summer by chopping off those dead ends into a fashionable bob.
Since just about everybody is obsessed with replicating the nineties, we have compiled an easy hair tutorial using Rachel McAdam’s bob as inspiration. It only takes about 5 minutes, and is oh-so-effortless!
1. Stay with second-day hair for extra texture (and those natural oils), but if you can’t help it, shampoo your hair with a volumising formula. Really work it into your roots, then rinse with cool water.
KMS Add Volume Shampoo, $28.95
2. If hair is on the thin side, let it dry naturally and apply a light mist to the roots. It will give your hair an extra lift without making it feel crunchy.
Juuce Sea Air Mist, $23.95
3. Section off your hair, then use a pair of flat irons to keep it looking super-sleek. Part your hair on an angle for the illusion of extra lift and texture.
GlamPalm SimpleTouch Hair Iron, $269
4. To keep hair in place all day, use our cult-favourite mist which won’t make your hair feel dry and lifeless. Dry shampoo also works to create instant texture.
L’Oréal Paris Elnett Normal Strength Hairspray, $9.99
Images via Star City
Looking for a quick, heat-proof hairstyle for a summer party? Actress Emma Roberts was recently spotted with these stunning summer braids, which are perfect for keeping the frizz away and take just 5 minutes to prepare on medium-length hairstyles.
1. Use a conditioning treatment on the length of your hair, making sure to let it absorb for 5-10 minutes before washing out with lukewarm water. It will help to keep any excess frizz away – especially mixed with the summer heat!
KMS TameFrizz Conditioner, $28.95
2. Let your hair air-dry, then apply a hydrating serum on the outer layer.
Davines MELU Mellow Split Ends Repairing Sealing Serum, $36.95
3. Divide your hair into two sections, and comb out any knots or kinks. Separate your fringe or smaller layers and pin them to the side, then start a small braid from the top of your ear. Take the braid over your parting (just like a headband), then pin it down.
4. Repeat the same step on the other side, then set it all with a hairspray.
Joico K-Pak Protective Hairspray, $30.75
Images via Starity
Actress Kate Mara might be known for her long brown locks, but her brand-new pixie crop is right on trend at the moment. Not only is shorter hair extremely easy to style, but you can master the slicked-back look in less than 5 minutes with our tutorial below.
1. Apply a shine serum onto damp hair concentrating on the very ends. Blow-dry hair on a cool heat with a round comb in a backwards motion. This will help to give the hair some extra volume.
ghd Smooth Finish Serum, $22
2. Part your hair in the middle (or on the side as preferred), and apply a high shine pomade from root to tip. This will help to give the hair the hold it needs without falling out of place. To distribute the product throughout the hair, use a wide-tooth comb in a backwards motion. If your hair is shorter than Kate’s, you won’t need to use a comb.
Reuzel High Sheen Pomade, $27.95
3. Pin back any longer layers such as bangs or a fringe with a bobby pin, then set it all in place with a medium strength spray.
KMS Hair Stay Style Boost, $31.96
Images via Celeb Mafia
Model Chrissy Teigen is known for her fashionable hair and style choices and this one is no exception. Her Golden Globes ponytail was once one of the best hairstyles from event season – and with good reason! She then rocked it again at the Billboard Music Awards with stunning retro curls, which has inspired us to get the hot rollers out for this easy tutorial.
1. To pump up the volume, use a root-lifting shampoo and conditioner to awaken the hair follicle in the shower. Make sure to massage the roots for 2-3 minutes, then wash out with lukewarm water.
FIX Volume Shampoo and Conditioning Duo, $15.95
2. Once hair has been towel dried, apply a nourishing serum on your ends. This will lock-in moisture and seal the hair from drying out.
Wella Scalp Energy Serum, $32
3. Divide hair into small sections depending on the size of your curls, then roll them up into each hot roller. Clip them on the crown of your head, then use a blow drier to set the hair in place.
Babyliss Pro Ceramic Jumbo Hot Rollers, $99.95
4. Once you’re happy with each curl, take them out individually and brush through with a wide-tooth comb. This will create the illusion of thicker hair and will make the curls look lived-in.
5. Set with a heavy-duty hair spray to keep curls looking defined all night long.
Joico Power Spray Fast-Dry Finishing Spray, $28.55
Image via Public.fr
What isn’t there to love about Gigi Hadid? The top model was recently spotted wearing one of the biggest trends of the season: a textured ponytail, so we just had to recreate it. Whether you have straight, curly, thin or even voluminous hair, this is one style you should be trying out this summer. With a little help from JOICO’s Body Luxe range, we have the perfect tutorial below which is just as good as Gigi’s.
- Use JOICO’s Body Luxe Shampoo ($19.99) and Conditioner($19.99) to power up the volume and thickness of fine strands.
- Follow up with JOICO’s Body Luxe Root Lift Volumizing Foam ($26.95) to create lift and support from scalp to ends. Once hair is dry, backcomb to create volume on the top.
- Pull the rest of your hair into a ponytail at the height of your choice, then secure with an elastic.
- Finally, apply JOICO’s Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax ($22) to the ponytail and lightly tease for more texture.
Image via Zimbio
With the Cannes Film Festival already in full swing in the South of France, some of our favourite international actors are hitting the red carpet with some serious style. French actress Lea Seydoux was wearing one of our favourite hairstyles – a refined bun, so we just had to recreate this look ourselves.
1. Start with hair that has been freshly washed and dried. For some added texture, use a volumising hair mousse or spray on damp hair.
Goldwell Style Sign Double Boost, $25.45
2. Once hair is completely dry, apply a lightweight serum to the ends. Not only is this crucial for keeping the follicle healthy, but it will also make the hair look shiny.
KMS Silk Sheen Polishing Serum, $31.96
3. Divide hair down the middle, then twist and pin into a bun. If your hair is thicker than usual, you might want to use a translucent hair elastic to keep it all in place. Then, just disguise it by pinning the shorter strands over the bun.
4. Set it all in place with a light finishing spray!
Joico Joimist Firm Finishing Spray, $28.55
Image via Zimbio
We all know that Olivia Palermo has some of the best hair in Hollywood, but her new style just in time for summer has us all swooning!
The classic French braid is perfect for those warm summer nights, a must-have for hiding greasy hair, and is ideal for windy weather. Use some of our favourite products below to create this easy look, just like Olivia.
1. Comb through the hair, then run some hair mousse focusing on your roots. This is essential for taming any flyaways, and will keep the style in place all day long.
Senscience Volume Boost Intensif Firm Hold Mousse, $32.95
2. If your hair is damp, use a light serum on the ends. Not only will it make them look super-shiny, but will actually be easier to braid.
Moroccan Oil Original Treatment 125ml, $49.50
3. Start a braid at the very top of your scalp, but dividing hair into 3 even sections. As the braid gets bigger, you will need more hair to continue it down to the nape of the neck. If you need a little help with this step, use a small, hand-held mirror to see what you’re doing.
Mia Smooth Elastic Blond, $9.85
4. Secure the braid with a thin elastic at the end. If you want more of a lived-in look, pull at the length of the braid. To create more drama at the roots, tease hair outwards, then mist with setting spray.
L’Oreal Professional Tecni Art Pli, $20
Image via Zimbio
It has been months since supermodel, Jourdan Dunn has chopped her hair into a bob.
Despite this, we are still completely obsessed with her new look, and have found some of the best tools and products to recreate it on our own hair. This style is perfect for girls with all hair types, since it creates the illusion of big, bouncy curls.
1. Use a volumising shampoo and conditioning duo to give hair some extra body while it’s still wet. Massage the product gently into your scalp, then keep the conditioner mainly to the ends of your hair. If it penetrates the scalp too much, it could actually weigh down your hair instead of lifting it.
Edward Beale Volumising Shampoo, $8.99
Edward Beale Volumising Conditioner, $8.99
2. Once hair has dried naturally (or with a hair dryer if you just can’r wait it out), use a mousse and concentrate it primary to your roots. This helps to create the illusion of body, especially on hair which is thinning or very fine.
Toni & Guy Prep Mousse Volumising Plump, $15.99
3. Take a curling wand with a thin barrel, and curl small pieces of hair away from your face. The reason we’re suggesting a thin barrel, is because it makes hair look big and bouncy with minimal effort.
WAHL Curling Iron, $28.95
4. Set hair with a light finishing spray, and run your fingers through ear curl to make it more prominent.
Image via Standard
Known for her sun-kissed locks and deep-tan skin, model Chrissy Teigen’s look was an instant hit for us here at ‘SHESAID’ at the annual Golden Globes.
We loved her effortless ponytail so much that we created an easy tutorial to replicate this look at home. All you need is a few key products to create that instant body and bounce for an award-winning hairstyle.
1. Begin with day-old hair which will better hold texture and curls. Freshly washed locks are usually not advised because the squeaky clean follicles have the tendency to cause frizz, which is difficult to maintain at the best of times!
2. Use a root-lifting spray on the base of the hair to create the illusion of instant volume. This will make it so much easier for hair to stay in place for long periods of time.
Living Proof Full Root Lifting Spray, $26
3. Tie hair into a low ponytail on the base of the neck. If your hair is longer, you can also try this style as a super-high ponytail. It will highlight the back of your neck, and stay in place all day long.
4. Using a curling wand, take thin pieces of hair and curl away from the face. Remember, if you want to create the illusion of thicker hair, use thin pieces are mist them lightly with setting spray.
ghd Soft Curve Tong, $200
5. Once you’re done, release any front layers or bangs for a beachy, bohemian look. Turn your curling wand to the lowest setting, and curl away from the face. If the curls look too defined, simply pin them back and wait for them to settle.
Image via Fashion Times
Short-haired celebrities such as Rose Byrne have an effortless hairstyle which is easy to maintain if you’re constantly strapped for time.
Create some signature Hollywood curls by using an iron or wand which keeps hair voluminous and bouncy for days. Follow this easy guide to achieve classic Hollywood curls just like our girl, Rose!
1. Begin with hair which has been freshly washed and dried. For an extra lift on your roots, use a volumising shampoo which creates an extra boost with minimal effort. Massage gently into your hair, and rinse with lukewarm water.
Edward Beale Volumising Shampoo, $8.99
2. After hair has completely dried, use a pea-sized amount of oil and work this into your ends. Don’t bring it to the scalp since it will only lead to flat, lifeless locks.
Klorane Strengthening Serum with Quinine-Caffeine Complex, $32.95
3. To create those signature curls, use a wand, iron, or old-school rollers; it just depends on what you’re most comfortable with! If you are using a curling wand, section hair with a clip and start from top to bottom. This will ensure that the curls at the top will last, and won’t drop in the process.
4. Wrap small pieces of hair around the wand for 5-7 seconds, then release and shake the hair. This creates a classic, curl which doesn’t look too refined.
5. After you’re done, lightly spray your roots with a sea-salt spray. Work the product in with your fingers to create some extra volume before heading out the door.
Lush Sea Spray, $12.50
Image via Talking Makeup
Reality television star Stassi Schroeder is known for her central role as one of the many cast members of Vanderpump Rules. We immediately fell in love with Stassi’s new shorter hairdo in season 3 of the hit show, and created this easy tutorial to achieve her voluminous look.
1. Start by giving hair some much needed body and bounce in the shower. Use a volumising shampoo and conditioner which is designed to lift your roots, and keep hair looking shiny and healthy all day long. This formula is packed with SmartBoostComplex which is perfect for hair which needs a little love.
Goldwell Dualsenses Ultra Volume Shampoo and Conditioner, $24.95 each
2. Carefully dry hair with a towel, and apply a hair serum into the ends. This is best if your hair is still damp, since it absorbs the product better. Do not rinse out.
Puretopia Pure Protect Hair Serum, $14.95
3. Apply a volumising oil treatment between your fingers, and run evenly throughout your hair. Scrunch the product into your scalp, and work it all the way down to the ends.
Percy & Reed Smoothed, Seal & Sensational Volumising No Oil, Oil for Fine Hair, $26
4. Blow-dry your hair on a low heat until it’s completely dry. This will make it easier to style later on. Once hair is dry, use a thermal heat protector on your ends. This is important since it will help to protect the hair from heat damage.
Tresemme Thermal Styling Heatspray, $7.99
5. Use a straightener or curling wand (whatever you prefer), to create big, bouncy curls. Keep the curls away from your face, and work from front to back to create a long-lasting hairstyle.
6. Once your hair is done, carefully brush with a wide-tooth comb, and apply a dry shampoo to your roots for extra lift.
Polished London Dry Shampoo Cornwell Coconut, $4.95
Image via Instagram
Nowadays Victoria Beckham is known for her remarkable fashion design as opposed to her hair. But she always looks refined, and wears her hair in very flattering and appropriate styles for the occasion. Her classic updo is easy enough to achieve, all you need is a handful of bobby pins and an extra-strength hairspray to recreate this look.
1. Start with air-dried hair, and work with the natural texture of your hair. Not only will this save you some time, but it’ll also guarantee that your hair will stay in place all day.
2. Carefully comb through the ends of your hair, and apply a shine serum from root to tip. This will leave your hair looking beautiful and healthy.
Goldwell Elixir Oil Treatment, $28.50
3. Pull your hair up and away from the jawline at a slight angle – this look is flattering for all women, regardless of hair texture or bone structure. Then secure with an elastic band. Brush through the pony tail to give a little extra thickness.
4. Curl the hair around the base of the ponytail, then secure with bobby pins. Carefully pull out individual hairs to make this hairstyle look lived-in. Set with hairspray.
Image via Style Bistro
An elegant updo is the perfect hair up style for weddings, parties and other formal occasions, and they’re really easy to do at home. Just follow this step-by-step hair tutorial.
Elegant updos are flattering on everyone since they elongate the neck and make your bone structure pop. It’s a great way to show off beautiful jewellery like chandelier earrings or a statement necklace.
The first step to achieve the look is to curl your hair with foam rollers. This will give you the perfect voluminous texture to work with.
The next step is to tease your hair at the crown lightly and gather the hair in a high ponytail. You can part the hair in the centre, like Jessica, or on the side – it’s up to you.
Then, take the curls in the ponytail and wrap them into a bun, securing with bobby pins.
Spray lightly with hair spray and you’re done. You can loosen a few strands around the face to create a softer look and frame the face.