Because ’tis the season to be inventive with your ‘do.
Become the unicorn you always wanted to be.
Expert hairstylist James Nicholson says clip-in fringes are a great way to change your look in an instant, without opting for the chop. Whether you’re after a blunt, choppy or side-swept fringe a clip-in fringe is your safest option. Plus it’s a great way to see if it’s a look you’d like to go for on a more permanent basis.
Here is his simple and quick step-by-step guide to get the look:
1. Wash and blow-dry your hair as normal
2. Section the first two inches of your hair from the middle of each of your brows and pin it back tightly at the crown (use hair pins that are the same colour as your hair). Also, for women with really fine hair you may want to back-comb the roots slightly to give you a solid foundation.
3. Apply the hairpiece by clipping in the centre clip first, then pull the hairpiece tightly across the forehead and snap shut the clip, repeat on the other side.
4. Release the hair from the crown and let the hair fall into its natural parting. Then style as usual, as the hairpieces are made from 100% human hair, you can apply products and heat style the fringe.
Gliders Bobby Pins 36pc; RRP $2.95
Available at thebeautyoffice.com.au
Headlines Hairpieces Clip in Fringe; RRP $79.20
Available at headlineshairpieces.com.au
Actress Ashley Benson was giving us serious hair envy when she was recently spotted at Justin Bieber’s Comedy Roast in Los Angeles. The actress wore a floor-length gown with diamond earrings and side-swept curls. Create this hairstyle in just 10 minutes with our easy tutorial below.
1. If hair has just been freshly washed and dried, apply a heat protectant to your ends. This will help to seal the hair follicle and will prevent any additional damage from the curling wand.
Redken Styling Duo Shield, $30.95
2. Divide hair into three sections (one at the back and two at the front). This will make it easier to curl the hair in a short amount of time. For short hair like Ashley’s, wrap the hair around the wand twice, hold for 7 seconds, then release. Shake the hair from side-to-side; this will increase the amount of volume.
Cloud Nine Curling Wand, $315
3. Repeat this step on your hair, leaving the fringe until last. Lower the heat on your curling wand and hold for 2-3 seconds. This will make the hair look more natural. Take a wide-tooth comb and carefully brush out the curls.
4. Spritz your roots with a touch of dry shampoo to give hair extra body and lift.
Nak Dry Clean Dry Shampoo, $19.95
Images via Zimbio
It’s date night and you’ve got the perfect outfit, a sexy new lip gloss…but what about your hair? If you’re struggling to find the perfect look, here are five celebrity hairstyles that are ideal for a romantic look and how you can recreate the look at home.
Gwyneth Paltrow’s sleek and straight hair
Gwyneth Paltrow loves a sleek look and it’s easy to recreate at home. To create this stylish celebrity hairstyle, use an anti-frizz serum on damp hair before blow-drying with a paddle brush. Separate hair into sections, clipping the top sections out of the way. Use a flat iron to smooth the bottom section first, and then continue with the other sections. Mist with a shine serum for healthy, shiny-looking locks.
Reese Witherspoon’s side-swept waves
For Reese’s soft, side-swept waves, start by using a lightweight styling cream on damp hair to create hold, then blow hair dry with a round brush. Create a deep side part and curl 1” sections of hair, being careful to curl all hair in the same direction. Lightly brush out your curls, then gather all hair over one shoulder.
Jessica Chastain’s half-up style
To recreate Jessica’s romantic half-up hairstyle, begin with hair that has been blow dried and parted in the middle. Section hair into two parts by dividing the hair at the crown just above the ears and use bobby pins to secure the top section, wrapping the hair to create a soft twist. Pull a few face-framing pieces from the top section for a more romantic look.
Kim Kardashian’s perfect ponytail
Kim’s sleek, low ponytail is a perfect look for a first date. To get the look, start with dry hair free of products and part hair on the side. Create volume at the crown by teasing, brush hair to smooth out any bumps. Smooth the hair with a small amount of straightening balm. Using an elastic hair tie, gather hair in a low ponytail at the base of your neck and spray with hairspray to tame flyaways.
Jennifer Lopez’s romantic waves
For Jennifer’s romantic look, blow dry hair with a diffuser attachment for extra volume. Section hair into two or three sections (depending on the thickness), and clip the top sections out of the way. Begin by curling the bottom section in 1” pieces away from the face. Finish with the remaining sections, then let hair cool completely before flipping your entire head over to shake out the curls. Spritz with a medium-weight hairspray to hold the look in place.
There’s no denying that Alexa Chung has one of the most enviable hairstyles in Hollywood. Where do we begin?
Just the right amount of sun-kissed strands coupled with a few tousled waves – it’s difficult to believe this hairstyle could be so easy! We show you just a few products which could help create Alexa’s signature hairstyle.
1. Work with day-old hair which still has a bit of natural oils at the roots. If you’ve just washed yours, not to worry!
Run a few drops of dry oil into the ends to emulate this look. It will also make your hair look super-shiny and healthy.
Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil, $39.99
2. Lightly mist the hair with heat protectant spray, making sure to avoid spritzing the roots. It could make your hair feel crunchy and oily.
Redken Styling Iron Shape, $30.95
3. Use a curling wand to carefully wrap small sections of hair. If you want this look to feel a little more tousled, take larger sections of hair and leave them around the curling wand for longer.
BaByliss Pro Siren Titanium Ceramic 34mm Waving Wand, $120.40
4. When this is done, comb out your hair to loosen the curls. Before heading out the door, carefully mist your ends with a bit of sea-salt spray. It’ll give the hair a touch of body and bounce without weighing it down like hairspray.
Nak Style Surfer, $24.95
Images via Zimbio
Give your hair a style re-fresh this summer by chopping off those dead ends into a fashionable bob.
Since just about everybody is obsessed with replicating the nineties, we have compiled an easy hair tutorial using Rachel McAdam’s bob as inspiration. It only takes about 5 minutes, and is oh-so-effortless!
1. Stay with second-day hair for extra texture (and those natural oils), but if you can’t help it, shampoo your hair with a volumising formula. Really work it into your roots, then rinse with cool water.
KMS Add Volume Shampoo, $28.95
2. If hair is on the thin side, let it dry naturally and apply a light mist to the roots. It will give your hair an extra lift without making it feel crunchy.
Juuce Sea Air Mist, $23.95
3. Section off your hair, then use a pair of flat irons to keep it looking super-sleek. Part your hair on an angle for the illusion of extra lift and texture.
GlamPalm SimpleTouch Hair Iron, $269
4. To keep hair in place all day, use our cult-favourite mist which won’t make your hair feel dry and lifeless. Dry shampoo also works to create instant texture.
L’Oréal Paris Elnett Normal Strength Hairspray, $9.99
Images via Star City
Give your hair a style re-fresh with one of the hottest styles of the season – a side bun. This popular summer hairstyle is the perfect way to keep your hair frizz-free, plus it looks amazing with a little wear!
Actress Emma Stone was recently spotted with the much-coveted style at the premiere Irrational Man in Los Angeles, California.
1. This style is best on day three hair since it will give enough hold, and won’t feel too frizzy. If you are starting from scratch, use a volumising shampoo which will give your roots some much-needed lift.
Joico Body Luxe Volumizing Shampoo, $29.65
2. To create some beachy waves, spritz your hair with some sea salt spray and scrunch it with your hands.
Pure Sea Salt Spray, $27.95
3. Take the rest of the hair and secure it in a low bun at the nape of the neck. If your hair is on the thicker side, use a translucent hair tie to keep it all in place.
4. Use a teasing comb to carefully sift out the shorter layers of hair which will frame your face.
Evo Tyler Teasing Brush, $29.95
5. If your hair needs it, spritz lightly with some hair spray to keep it all intact.
Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Humidity Hair Spray, $31.70
Images via Zimbio
Hair extensions are a fun way to switch-up your look, add some volume and give your hair some extra length without committing to just one particular style. Make the most of your extensions this summer with some of the hottest hairstyles that emphasise your long locks, rather than drawing attention to the tracks.
One of the best parts about having hair extensions is the extra volume it gives. Brush hair into a slicked-back ponytail, then wrap it around the elastic to form a sleek, ballerina bun. Feel free to use extra bobby pins to keep shorter layers and stray hairs away.
Wear your hair down for a special event by creating some instant texture with the help of a curling wand. Take small sections of hair, wrap them around the wand for 7-10 seconds, then release and shake the strand of hair. This creates instant volume without the use of hairspray!
For a day at the gym, keep hair away from your face with a high ponytail. This style is also friendly for extensions, since you can easily hide any tracks.
Who else feels like this hairstyle is a not-so-subtle nod to the nineties? Make the most of your extra length and volume by dividing hair into two sections and making the top into a high ponytail. It gives the illusion of extra hair without getting into your face!
Keep your extra hair looking tangle-free in a popular protective hairstyle – the fishtail braid. If you find it rather difficult to master (YouTube tutorials are always easy!), then a standard braid is also ideal.
Images via Inspiration Luv, Pinterest, Desi Perkins, Liz Marie Blog, Pop Haircuts
Looking for a quick, heat-proof hairstyle for a summer party? Actress Emma Roberts was recently spotted with these stunning summer braids, which are perfect for keeping the frizz away and take just 5 minutes to prepare on medium-length hairstyles.
1. Use a conditioning treatment on the length of your hair, making sure to let it absorb for 5-10 minutes before washing out with lukewarm water. It will help to keep any excess frizz away – especially mixed with the summer heat!
KMS TameFrizz Conditioner, $28.95
2. Let your hair air-dry, then apply a hydrating serum on the outer layer.
Davines MELU Mellow Split Ends Repairing Sealing Serum, $36.95
3. Divide your hair into two sections, and comb out any knots or kinks. Separate your fringe or smaller layers and pin them to the side, then start a small braid from the top of your ear. Take the braid over your parting (just like a headband), then pin it down.
4. Repeat the same step on the other side, then set it all with a hairspray.
Joico K-Pak Protective Hairspray, $30.75
Images via Starity
Model Chrissy Teigen is known for her fashionable hair and style choices and this one is no exception. Her Golden Globes ponytail was once one of the best hairstyles from event season – and with good reason! She then rocked it again at the Billboard Music Awards with stunning retro curls, which has inspired us to get the hot rollers out for this easy tutorial.
1. To pump up the volume, use a root-lifting shampoo and conditioner to awaken the hair follicle in the shower. Make sure to massage the roots for 2-3 minutes, then wash out with lukewarm water.
FIX Volume Shampoo and Conditioning Duo, $15.95
2. Once hair has been towel dried, apply a nourishing serum on your ends. This will lock-in moisture and seal the hair from drying out.
Wella Scalp Energy Serum, $32
3. Divide hair into small sections depending on the size of your curls, then roll them up into each hot roller. Clip them on the crown of your head, then use a blow drier to set the hair in place.
Babyliss Pro Ceramic Jumbo Hot Rollers, $99.95
4. Once you’re happy with each curl, take them out individually and brush through with a wide-tooth comb. This will create the illusion of thicker hair and will make the curls look lived-in.
5. Set with a heavy-duty hair spray to keep curls looking defined all night long.
Joico Power Spray Fast-Dry Finishing Spray, $28.55
Image via Public.fr
Who says you have to be traditional on your wedding day? When settling on that one hairstyle for your big day, choose something that suits the texture of your hair and is a true reflection of your personal style. We have rounded up five of our favourite quirky hairstyles for the modern bride.
Take this traditional style and put your own modern spin on it according to the colour and texture of your hair. Accessorise with flowers, pins and crystals to truly make this look your own. Just remember – looks like this are better lived-in! So don’t worry when it starts to fall out after a few hours of dancing.
If you want to keep your hair out of your face without getting the chop, try this quirky faux bob hairstyle. The hair is flipped into itself and pinned into the sides and back of your hair. This makes it easy to conceal bobby pins and looks amazing for a casual summer wedding.
Bring some spice to a traditional bun by braiding the bottom half of your hair first. This reverse style is easy if you can master the classic french braid and is ideal if you want your hair to stay in place for hours! Just remember to mist your hair with some extra-hold spray before walking down the aisle.
If you’re a bride who is all about the details, then this quirky style is just for you. A cute heart braid is a great way to style thick, straight hair without putting any additional strain on your crown. We haven’t found a tutorial for this look yet, but it doesn’t mean we haven’t tried to recreate it at home!
If your hair has been coloured a bright and vibrant colour for your wedding, stick to a traditional style to balance out the look. These loose curls fastened with a classic crystal broach are the perfect way to bring some personal style to your look.
Images via Bespoke Bride, Hitched, Pinterest, Alexanders For Hair, Hair Chalk
What isn’t there to love about Gigi Hadid? The top model was recently spotted wearing one of the biggest trends of the season: a textured ponytail, so we just had to recreate it. Whether you have straight, curly, thin or even voluminous hair, this is one style you should be trying out this summer. With a little help from JOICO’s Body Luxe range, we have the perfect tutorial below which is just as good as Gigi’s.
- Use JOICO’s Body Luxe Shampoo ($19.99) and Conditioner($19.99) to power up the volume and thickness of fine strands.
- Follow up with JOICO’s Body Luxe Root Lift Volumizing Foam ($26.95) to create lift and support from scalp to ends. Once hair is dry, backcomb to create volume on the top.
- Pull the rest of your hair into a ponytail at the height of your choice, then secure with an elastic.
- Finally, apply JOICO’s Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax ($22) to the ponytail and lightly tease for more texture.
Image via Zimbio
Celebrities are no strangers to change, especially when it comes to their personal appearance. From Lindsay Lohan’s blonde hair to Olivia Palermo’s blunt bob, we count down just some of the best (and worst) celebrity makeovers of the last few years.
10. Lindsay Lohan
Remember when Lindsay Lohan coloured her signature red locks platinum blonde? While she certainly rocked this look in 2005, we’re just glad she’s gone back to orange these days!
9. Anne Hathaway
Whilst we’re still on the blonde bandwagon, what about the time Anne Hathaway chopped her long brown locks in favourite of a short pixie do? We much prefer her classic brown locks.
8. Ashley Olsen
One celebrity hair transformation we would love to see again is Ashley Olsen’s dark brown locks. Not only did it bring a different level to her look, but it looked amazing with every hairstyle!
7. Kim Kardashian
As much as we loved the balayage on Kim, one look would couldn’t get on board with was the peroxide blonde. We did love the short, dark locks which were inspired by younger sister, Kylie Jenner.
6. Kristen Stewart
One shorter look we did love was on actress Kristen Stewart. The shorter layers definitely gave her hair some volume, and made it look so effortless!
5. Vanessa Hudgens
Remember Vanessa Hudgens long blonde locks circa Coachella 2012? Sorry Vanessa but we love your darker hair so much more. The red rinse she put in her hair also looked incredible.
4. Nicole Richie
While we love our pastels here at SHESAID, a hairstyle we couldn’t completely appreciate was one by Nicole Richie. Temporary hair rinses are fun, but we loved her blonde hair circa The Simple Life!
3. Giuliana Rancic
Who else misses Giuliana’s long blonde hair? However, a stunning blunt cut is amazing on her skin tone, and suits her new-mum look!
2. Margot Robbie
Who can forget the time Margot Robbie coloured her blonde locks into a delicious shade of chocolate? Now that is what we call a chameleon!
1. Olivia Palermo
Olivia has come a long way from her debut in The Hills, blonde hair and all. But we love her blunt bob circa 2009, and it looks even better when it’s grown out.
What is your favourite celebrity hair makeover? Did we leave anyone out?
Images via People, Blogspot, Oz Beauty Expert, Now Magazine, Beauty Riot, All About You, Style News, ZNet
Want to switch up your hairstyle for summer? Nicky Hilton was recently spotted at the Fashion Institute of Technology’s Future of Fashion runway show in New York sporting a summery look with a bright blue dress. We show you exactly how to get this look yourself with a few key products.
1. This hairstyle is perfect on second-day hair since there is a natural build-up of oils. Choose which side you want the braid on, then mist your hair with sea-salt spray for extra texture.
Lush Sea Spray, $12.95
2. Brush through the hair lightly with a comb, then divide it into three strands. Start from the inside and work your way out (just like a french braid) collecting more hair as you finish the braid.
3. Once you have reached the desired length, secure with a bobby pin or clear elastic just behind the ear.
Lady Jane Pins, $2.99
4. To give the rest of your hair a beachy look, use a curling wand to create some more waves and texture.
Once you have curled each part of your hair, lightly shake the strands – this creates some extra volume without the use of hairspray.
VS Sassoon Big Hair, $99.99
Images via Zimbio
Do you want voluminous bouncy hair like Dakota Johnson? We fell in love with her entire look at the annual Met Gala, and have come up with an easy tutorial to get the look at home. Enjoy!
1. Use a volumising shampoo and conditioner to make the most of your hair in the shower. Most of these formulas are actually root-lifting, which means that hair won’t look flat and lifeless.
Joico Colour Balance Shampoo and Conditioner, $29.95 each
2. Once you’re out of the shower, attach a diffuser to your hair-drier to add some more texture. This is essential if your hair is naturally quite straight.
Vidal Sassoon 2200W Hair Drier, $44.95
3. Use one pump of a volumising hair mousse, and apply liberally to the roots of your hair. Scrunch the hair between your fingers, then release.
Garnier Fructis Style Volume Restructure Mousse, $7.49
4. Apply a lightweight serum to your ends, this will add some extra shine to your hair. Don’t go overboard and apply it onto your roots. It will only weigh down your hair and make it feel oily.
Marc Daniels Moroccan Argan Hair Serum, $12.99
5. If your hair requires a little extra body, use a thin curling iron to create the illusion of extra volume. Remember to curl away from the face, then shake the hairs before misting with setting spray.
Images via Zimbio
With the Cannes Film Festival already in full swing in the South of France, some of our favourite international actors are hitting the red carpet with some serious style. French actress Lea Seydoux was wearing one of our favourite hairstyles – a refined bun, so we just had to recreate this look ourselves.
1. Start with hair that has been freshly washed and dried. For some added texture, use a volumising hair mousse or spray on damp hair.
Goldwell Style Sign Double Boost, $25.45
2. Once hair is completely dry, apply a lightweight serum to the ends. Not only is this crucial for keeping the follicle healthy, but it will also make the hair look shiny.
KMS Silk Sheen Polishing Serum, $31.96
3. Divide hair down the middle, then twist and pin into a bun. If your hair is thicker than usual, you might want to use a translucent hair elastic to keep it all in place. Then, just disguise it by pinning the shorter strands over the bun.
4. Set it all in place with a light finishing spray!
Joico Joimist Firm Finishing Spray, $28.55
Image via Zimbio
We all know that Olivia Palermo has some of the best hair in Hollywood, but her new style just in time for summer has us all swooning!
The classic French braid is perfect for those warm summer nights, a must-have for hiding greasy hair, and is ideal for windy weather. Use some of our favourite products below to create this easy look, just like Olivia.
1. Comb through the hair, then run some hair mousse focusing on your roots. This is essential for taming any flyaways, and will keep the style in place all day long.
Senscience Volume Boost Intensif Firm Hold Mousse, $32.95
2. If your hair is damp, use a light serum on the ends. Not only will it make them look super-shiny, but will actually be easier to braid.
Moroccan Oil Original Treatment 125ml, $49.50
3. Start a braid at the very top of your scalp, but dividing hair into 3 even sections. As the braid gets bigger, you will need more hair to continue it down to the nape of the neck. If you need a little help with this step, use a small, hand-held mirror to see what you’re doing.
Mia Smooth Elastic Blond, $9.85
4. Secure the braid with a thin elastic at the end. If you want more of a lived-in look, pull at the length of the braid. To create more drama at the roots, tease hair outwards, then mist with setting spray.
L’Oreal Professional Tecni Art Pli, $20
Image via Zimbio
Channel Gemma Ward’s relaxed curls at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia without even stepping into the beach!
How? All you need to do is follow our simple tutorial below, and don’t forget to mist your hair with some sea-salt spray before heading out of the house.
1. If your hair is just freshly washed, apply a lightweight serum onto your ends. This will help to lock-in moisture, but won’t weigh the rest of your hair down.
Marc Daniels Australian Macadamia Hair Serum, $14.99
2. Mist the rest of your hair with sea salt spray, and scrunch it with your fingers. This will help to generate extra volume to even super-straight hair.
Lush Sea Spray, $12.95
3. Use a hair-dryer on cool, and make sure to add the diffuser onto the tip. This is essential if you want to nail the wavy locks Gemma Ward is sporting.
ghd air diffuser attachment, $25
4. If the diffuser trick isn’t working on your hair type, simply use a curling wand with a large barrel to create the illusion of beachy waves. Section off the hair, then work your way from back to front – this will ensure that your hair maintains the curl for longer.
The Alexa by Halo, $193.95
5. Mist your hair with a setting spray lightly at the roots to make sure it stays in place for hours.
Joico Power Spray Fast-Dry Finishing Spray, $16.99
Image via The Beautiful Lens
Sarah Jessica Parker is known for her big blonde curls, but since the end of Sex and The City she’s been sporting a sleek, straight hairstyle. To achieve her shiny highlighted hair, it’s important to use a moisturising serum every time you wash your hair and follow it up with a weekly hydrating mask to seal those split ends.
1. Treat your hair to a weekly hydrating mask, which is essential for locking in moisturise and is ideal for all hair types. Work the product into your hair from root to tip, then let it sit for 30-60 minutes before washing out with shampoo and lukewarm water.
Hello Hair Hydrating Mask, $15
2. For more frequent hydration, using an oil serum on damp hair. Rub a few drops of product into your fingers, then apply it directly onto the length of your hair. Leave it to air dry naturally, or use a hair dryer on a cool temperature.
Josie Maran Pure 100% Argan Oil, $48
3. If you’re looking for a cheap and cheerful method which is also made from all natural ingredients, look no further than coconut oil. Slather it on your hair and massage it into your scalp to take care of any dry patches or dandruff.
Bioglan Super Foods Organic Coconut Oil, $12.99
4. For blonde or light brown hair like Sarah Jessica Parker, use a silver shampoo at least once a week to counteract those brassy tones. Not only will it leave your hair looking the perfect shade of blonde, but it will also look healthy and shiny after each wash.
Avon Advance Techniques Radiant Silver Shampoo, $9.99
Image via Zimbio