Lentils are such a versatile lunch or dinner option since they can be cooked in a variety of ways, but also bring lots of taste and texture to a meal. This special dinner recipe is on the healthier side, but still features filling flavours of lemon and garlic which will no-doubt have you going back for seconds!
Serves 3-4 and is a great option for those looking for a gluten-free and vegan alternative.
3-4 cloves medium head garlic
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil/ghee
1 medium head roasted garlic
1/2-2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2-1 tsp salt and pepper
1 box gluten-free spaghetti
12 cups loosely packed baby spinach
2/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup cooked black or green lentils
Topping options: sliced almonds, parsley or basil, lemon, salt and pepper, capers, fresh Parmesan cheese.
For the roasted garlic:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and peel away the skin from the garlic until you can see the cloves.
- Drizzle with oil, sea salt and let it soak for 5-10 minutes before roasting it in the oven.
- Roast the garlic for 50 minutes in the oven until it is golden-brown in colour, and feels tender. Remove from the oven and leave it out to cool.
For the sauce:
- Mash the garlic heads in a medium bowl, then combine with 1/2 cup oil, teaspoon, salt, pepper into jar and shake well.
- Refrigerate the sauce until you’re ready to finally use it.
For the pasta:
- Cook pasta and lentils according to the directions, then sauté over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add the hot spinach and dried tomatoes before stirring the entire mixture for just 2-3 minutes.
- Now include the pasta and lemon sauce into the mixture, and season to your liking. Place 1/4 cup of lentils over each pasta dish, and serve with freshly chopped parsley, almonds and basil for a fresh pop of flavour.
Image and Recipe via Edible Perspective