If you’re thinking about giving your beauty bag a makeover, these product gems are a must.
As busy working women and/or mums-on-the-go, it can be so easy to fall into bad habits like neglecting your self-care. This is why a beautiful, hand-made soy, scent candle, or a luxurious hand crème, for example, can make such a difference to your day. Both offer quick and easy relaxation and enjoyment.
Enter Queensland-based unisex cosmeceutical brand Alpha-H, which has achieved both local and national success over the last 20 years by providing heavenly skincare and body products which also aim to offer long-term solutions for problem skin.
A family-run business, Alpha-H’s owner/director Michelle Doherty created the products out of a real need to change her own skin after suffering chronic cystic acne in her teenage years and throughout her 20s.
Disappointed by over-the-counter cosmetics and appalled by the disinterest and lack of empathy from medical professionals, Michelle was introduced to Alpha-H when the brand was in its infancy. Within days of using the range, she saw immediate and sustained visible improvements; not just in her skin, but in her confidence and self-esteem.
Now, Michelle travels the globe meeting men and women with their own skin concerns and problems, thus inspiring her to constantly develop new products which can help bring sustainable solutions to others.
Available in Australia at Lulu and Lipstick, via www.luluandlipstick.com.au, plus in a myriad of other countries, Alpha-H prides itself on its concentrated and balanced performance ingredients. Its range of glycolic-based skincare has everything from cleansers and exfoliants to vitamin serums and speciality solutions for all skin types.
I trialled Alpha-H’s Luxe Limited Edition Kit, $99, (pictured) over the summer holidays, and absolutely loved it. It added much joy and relaxation to my life.
The kit is a combination of Alpha-H’s most decadent products including my favourites: the ultra-luxurious Age Delay Hand and Cuticle Cream (pictured) and the sublime Scented Soy Candle in Delicate Fig and Cedarwood (pictured). The candle smells glorious and I still light it every night before bed for its soothing and calming properties. In addition, the lovely hand creme really calms my problem dermatitis.
The fab kit also contains a velvety Balancing Cleanser, indulgent Essential Hydration Cream, the brand’s award-winning Protection Plus Daily SPF50+ and a multi-tasking Instant Facial. The hand crème is also available for individual sale at $39.
The NYC nail trends forecast for 2015 is hot, hot, hot! In the lead-up to New York Fashion Week 2015, from February 12-19, celebrity nail artists have been hard at work backstage fine-tuning their handiwork on the plethora of new nail trends for 2015.
Here, Nicole Lee, co-founder of NYC-based cosmetic brand LAQA & Co. Cosmetics gives SHESAID readers the low-down on what varnishes we need to buy now to stay on-trend.
“This year we’ll be seeing sweet pastels, metallic hues, clean whites and the new favourite, negative space: graphic polish designs that show a little bit of naked nail,” Nicole says. “We’ve also seen huge requests for subtle spring sparkles, a classic white with a touch of gold.”
Top 3 hot US nail brands you need now:
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics: Created with the editorial manicurist in mind, the NYC brand’s Nail Lacquer range is densely pigmented, quick-drying and super long-lasting. The result is lots of colour using very little product, for nails that are camera-ready just moments after application. Best of all, the OCC range is 100 per cent vegan and cruelty free.
Top picks include Pool Boy, $24, an opaque turquoise, which is akin to a summer holiday in a bottle. Cheaper than a plane ticket, spoil yourself with this adventurous blue!Next up, Black Metal Dahlia, $24, is perfect for a powerful handshake. This red demands attention and is pretty, deep and long-lasting.
- Lime Crime: Founded by make-up renegades from Los Angeles, Lime Crime is committed to producing the most kick-arse, true-to-colour, cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics possible.
Top picks include Milky Ways, $15, a glam, creamy, vanilla splash of white. This is effortless chic for off-duty glam.
Next up, Parfait Day, $15, is a delicious candy-sweet pink akin to a strawberry milkshake. This baby is perfect with the “bambi eyes” trend and a nude lip.
- LAQA & Co.: This NYC-based cosmetic brand aims to deliver convenient products with an effortless, professional result. Packaged in unique artwork by young, emerging artists, these babies are precious, little pieces of art with a percentage of every product purchased contributed towards the artists themselves to further their potential.Top picks include the Gold Fleck + Pink Manicure Duo, $22, a double-ended polish pen with random-cut gold fleck. Simply brush over touch-dry nails for the latest nail trend. Love!Next up, check out pretty melon shade Tweedledee Nail Polish, $18, an awesome shade perfect for pool parties, cocktail hour and the list goes on.Finally, the fabulously named, Ankle Biter Nail Polish, $18, (pictured) is worthy of attention for its divine, rose-gold hue.
All nail brands are available for sale at Lulu and Lipstick via www.luluandlipstick.com.
Make like stylish beauties Beyonce, J-Lo and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley by bagging yourself cult international beauty brands favoured by the stars at new luxe beauty etailer Lulu and Lipstick. Stocking thousands of on-trend beauty and skincare brands from around the world, Lulu and Lipstick is like the beauty world equivalent of a candy shop. Here are SHESAID’s top 10 Lulu and Lipstick must-haves ahead of Christmas – go on, spoil yourself – point and click on www.luluandlipstick.com.
1. Velour Lashes You Complete Me, $34.50: The most luxurious of all fake lashes, these authentic mink babies – as flaunted by Queen Bey herself – can be worn up to 25 times. And if they’re good enough for the Queen… Perfect for the upcoming party season, the handmade lashes offer a full and luscious frame to your eyes. Love!
2. Mermaid Perfume Body Oil, $79.95: US Vogue called Mermaid Perfume: “one of the world’s nine best beauty products flying under the radar”. And this divine oil is a definite must-have; laced with sweet orange blossom and coconut – it’s for every girl who’s ever dreamt of being a mermaid.
3. Ayurda Cucumber and Basil Cleansing Milk, $69.95: Incorporating the wisdom of the ayurvedic philosophy, Ayurda takes a holistic approach to beauty with all-natural products designed to create “nutrition for the skin”. The beauty brand prides itself on being one of the first to link skincare to well-being, with products that go beyond organic. This cleansing milk is a great natural healer for fragile skin.
4. Tata Harper Restorative Eye Crème, $103.50: Recently labelled with celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe’s famous tagline “Maj”, NYC’s Tata Harper specialises in luxurious anti-aging beauty products which are completely free of synthetic and chemical ingredients. The products are 100 per cent natural and non-toxic, nourishing the skin and the spirit. What’s more, US Vogue called Tata Harper products “life-changing”.
5. Anastasia Beverley Hills Dipbrow Pomade, in Soft Brown, $39: The go-to precision perfect eyebrow products for A-listers ranging from Kim Kardashian to Oprah, Anastasia Beverley Hills was founded by beauty innovator Anastasia Soare. The award-winning beauty products work to balance and proportion features, with an extensive range of cosmetics, stencils and tools with which to create perfect eyebrows at home.
6. Beetox Manuka Honey and Bee Venom Facemask, $110: UK skin sensation Beetox has been hailed as a natural alternative to Botox. This luxurious and unique beauty product promises to rejuvenate skin. It is said to provide deep penetration, improve micro-circulation in the renewal of damaged skin cells and stimulate the facial muscles, thus creating lifting, tightening and firming effects. Bees were not harmed in the sourcing of the ingredients. Yay!
7. Lulu and Lipstick Make-up Bag, $24.95: This cute and cheerful cosmetics bag capitalises on the pineapple fashion and interiors trend that so hot right now. A pop of colour for your handbag, Lulu’s signature make-up bag is surprisingly large – you’ll easily fit a vast array of cosmetics in there. Bag it, baby.
8. Pink Holiday Lipstick in Love In Portofino, $28.75: Renew your love affair with pink lipstick with this luscious lip smacker from the NYC beauty brand. Pink Holiday’s lip formula is colour-saturated; moisturing, but light on the lips; colour-true and anti-aging. What’s more, this beautiful, bright pink will give you soft, kissable lips. Pinkilicious!
9. DERMAdoctor KP Duty Body Scrub With Chemical and Physical Exfoliation, $52.90: US celebrity cult brand DERMAdoctor Specialist Skin Care provides the latest solutions to common skincare problems such as rosacea, keratosis pilaris and melasma. And with Brazilian model and designer Camila Alves crediting this product for her recent, flawless Oscars skin – it’s worth a whirl, to be sure!
10. Lime Crime Lipstick in Babette, $23: Make-up renegades from Los Angeles, Lime Crime strive to create the most kick-arse true-to-colour, cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics possible. This vampy pastel coral shade (pictured at top and below) is bold, opaque and colour-drenched. It’s perfect for hot, hot, hot summer parties and just the thing to complement on-trend maxis.