Start saving your frequent flyer miles now…
The top end of Australia should be a travel destination on everyone’s bucket list. Home to some of the most stunning scenery Australia has to offer, the NT has a unique blend of flora and fauna, which must be seen to be appreciated. From exotic waterfalls, landscapes and wildlife to ancient Aboriginal rock art, there’s something for young and old to see and do.
What makes it even better, is that they also have superb glamping accommodation options. Some of which you don’t even have to get out of bed to witness the incredible sunrises! No, it’s not too good to be true, it’s a reality!
Here we are featuring four of the regions top rugged, yet ritzy venues. From romantic couples getaways, to family friendly safari tents, it seems the top end is the place to go and experience the best glamping options on offer. Rather than just finding a place to lay your head, opt for a once in a lifetime experience.
Bamuruu Plains Wildbush Luxury
Looking for a hint of romance? This luxury getaway provides the perfect privacy for couples looking for that romantic escape. With only nine bungalows available, guests are able to escape to a place of intimate isolation. Each bungalow overlooks the floodplains visited by a many unique flora and fauna, such as Magpie Gees and Plumed Whistling Ducks.
This is the ultimate natural Aussie outback experience so don’t expect technology. Sorry the mobile won’t work either. There are binoculars and species guides for sitting back and thoroughly enjoying the experience. The food options are reflective of the region, so if you’re into Australiana, be sure to check it out.
Fancy waking up to breathtaking views of Uluru / Ayers Rock from the comfort of your bed? Flick the switch, the curtains rise and there it is! This intimate 15 luxury tent venue ensures interrupted views of the iconic landmark from each tent. King sized beds, air-conditioning and even complimentary use of an Ipad and MP3 makes this the type of glamping experience something even a princess could endure!
After a long hot day of sightseeing, you can relax poolside then head into the outback for a gourmet four-course dinner under the spectacular glory of the milky way. If you have been searching for a way to propose or celebrate something special, this experience is certainly worthy of investigating.
Kings Canyon Wilderness Lodge
This boutique lodge is glamping at its best, complete with token campfire. There are only ten spacious luxury tented cabins on offer, so intimate numbers are assured. With king size beds and air conditioning, the owners are catering for your comfort. It’s set in a secluded and picturesque corner of Kings Creek Station with easy access to Kings Canyon.
In the evening you can experience a three-course gourmet dinner with Aussie flair! Sample the fresh homemade damper, served with platters of beef and barramundi or kangaroo and lamb, all served with the chef’s choice of vegetables and salad. Yum! Complete the day by sitting back and relaxing in front of an outdoor campfire.
Wildman Wilderness Lodge
For a family option, consider Wildman Wilderness Lodge. They have 10 family friendly safari tents, complete with two single beds, plus en-suite. The beauty of Wildman is that it is easily accessible to both Darwin and Kakadu, located on the stunning Mary River Wetlands. It too is home to exquisite local bird and wildlife.
An added specialty of the lodge is a fisherman or woman’s dream! You can catch your own Barramundi and then have the chef cook it for your dinner. Now, I don’t know about you, but that sounds like the ideal fishing experience!
Sometimes just being personable and friendly can go a long way in scoring a free hotel upgrade. But for times when a nice smile and pleasant demeanor is not enough, Amy Chan, director of marketing for Kiwi Collection has some other tricks to try.
1. Timing Check in later (between 4-6pm) as the front desk can see the cancellations and no-shows of that day. Also, if your dates are flexible, don’t book on busy holiday times as upgrades cannot be given if a hotel is at full occupancy.
2. Book a room in the middle price range It’s not impossible to get upgraded when booking the cheapest room category available but it doesn’t help your odds. Book a room that is in the mid range for better chances.
3. Be nice It’s that simple. Front desk staff and hotel managers deal with a lot of people and handle a lot of problems and stress during their day. Sometimes, just being personable, and friendly can go a long way.
4. Ask It doesn’t hurt to ask, and the worst thing that can happen is that you get declined. Ask if an upgrade is available. If it’s a special occasion, it doesn’t hurt to volunteer that information either.
5. Hotel mistake? Sometimes a hotel’s mistake can work to your advantage. Perhaps your room wasn’t ready upon check-in, construction causing loss of sleep – you can always address a hotel issue with the management in a nice manner and see if they will do something (like provide an upgrade) for the inconvenience.
6. Where you book matters If you’re booking a standard room, a hotel actually can give you a different room just based on the booking source you made the reservation on. Ever experience a really crappy room right by the hotel’s laundry area when booking on Expedia, only to find that your friend who booked elsewhere paid the same price but got a better room?
7. Loyalty You’ll have better chances of a free upgrade if you are loyal to the hotel and provide repeat business. Hotels know that it costs a lot less to keep a repeat customer happy then it is to acquire a new one, so often they’ll give special treatment to return customers.
8. Title drop There aren’t any guarantees, but you may find that title dropping can increase your chances of special treatment and upgrades. Hotels may want to impress you more because they know you’re an important businessperson, someone who can refer new business or have blogging or press power.