Save up so you can travel the world to eat ice-cream.
Traditional French macaroons are actually easy to make, regardless of the hype surrounding them. Plus, did you know that you only need less than 10 ingredients for the entire recipe?
We have tracked down the perfect recipe for delicious vanilla macaroons which the entire family is sure to love. Enjoy with juice for the kids, a cup of tea, or even a glass of champagne for a touch of glamour.
75g ground almonds
50g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g icing sugar
50g butter (unsalted)
100g icing sugar (for the filling)
- Fill a food processor with the ground almonds and 100g of icing sugar, then mix for 10-15 seconds.
- In another bowl, whisk the 2 egg whites then add the remaining caster sugar until you have a soft meringue. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract.
- Fold the almond mixture into the meringue until you have a soft, consistent texture. Then pour it into a piping bag with a plain nozzle.
- Line a tray with baking paper and preheat the oven to 160ºC (320ºF), then pipe out 32 rounds onto the tray. Leave the tray at room temperature for at least 15-30 minutes, then bake for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, combine the butter (softened) and vanilla extract into a bowl until fluffy. Place it on the bottom of each round, then sandwich it with the top.
Image via Brit.co