Drinking alcohol out of fruit makes it healthy… right?
Friday afternoon drinks are a delight with this DIY orange mojito recipe! Just in time for spring, this rum, mint and orange cocktail is a refreshing way to say hello to the weekend – it also photographs a treat on Instagram. Don’t forget to add some extra mint!
60ml Substation No. 41 rum
4 lime chunks
3 orange wedges
10ml sugar syrup
4-6 mint pieces
Cracked pepper (optional)
- Muddle lime, orange and mint together in a Boston glass.
- Add sugar syrup, rum and ice.
- Skake all ingredients in a Boston shaker.
- Pour in a tall cocktail glass and garnish with mint and cracked pepper (optional).
Add a little twist to your classic mojito by incorporating a lemon base. Ditching the lime, it’s a subtle change with a refreshing twist that perfectly balances out the sweet and sour flavours. The best part is you can adjust accordingly depending on your preference!
60g (1/4 cup) white sugar
12 sprigs fresh mint
1 lemon, thinly sliced
300ml fresh lemon juice
250ml (1 cup) rum
1 cup crushed ice
Soda water, chilled, to serve
- Divide the sugar and half the mint among serving glasses. Use a fork to crush the mint into the sugar.
- Divide the lemon and remaining mint among the glasses.
- Combine the lemon juice and rum in a large jug.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture among the glasses. Top with ice and soda water. Serve immediately.
Recipe via Taste
Who can resist a tasty pineapple cocktail – especially when the sun comes out to play. Make your own with a few simple ingredients and some of your favourite liqueurs, and don’t forget to invite your friends over, too! The best part? Most of these recipes use 5 ingredients or less, so you won’t be in the kitchen all afternoon.
Pineapple Lime Chelada
Limeade, pineapple (cubed), Mexican beer, Gold tequila
Soak the pineapple and lime wedges in tequila and set for 1 hour or even overnight. This is perfect if you have a little time or your hands and would love to have a really strong flavour in the drink. Blend the fruit, remove the rind, and sprinkle with salt and chilli powder before serving.
Foaming Pineapple Cocktail
White rum, coconut cream, frozen pineapple juice cubes
Combine all of the ingredients and mix well until you have a thin consistency. Pour into a champagne glass and fill to the brim.
Pineapple, mint leaves, sugar, white rum, club soda
Place the chopped pineapple, mint leaves and sugar into a cocktail shaker. Mix until it’s combined, then add the ice and lime juice.
Tequila, Triple sec/Cointreau, pineapple juice, lime juice
Combine all of the liquids into a large pitcher, then stir to combine. Dip the rim of each glass into the salt, then serve with ice.
Images via Half Baked Harvest, Stir and Strain, Jelly Toast Blog, The Messy Baker
Mojito’s are refreshing summer drinks which are perfect if you want to cool off with a glass – or two.
The combination of rum and fresh mint makes them suitable for winding down next to the pool, or even just a popular drink if you’re having people over. Create this easy recipe at home using lime, mint, sugar, soda, and rum – that’s it!
30 leaves of fresh mint
3/2 cup white sugar
1 cup white rum
Club soda and ice
- Squeeze the lime pieces into a dish, and then combine the mint leaves and sugar. Make sure to clap your hands together to bruise the leaves – this is where all the extra flavour comes from.
- Use a muddle stick (or wooden spoon) to wash them all together. This should only take a few minutes, and look like a thick juice.
- Add into a pitcher, and combine the white rum, ice cubes, club soda, and top-off with some additional mint leaves for added flavour.
Image and Recipe via Wife of A Bartender, Glow Magazine